Creature Feature - Best Destinations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quinn Ross

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've dove Grand Cayman (East and West end), St. Lucia, Dominican Republic (Caribbean Side), Cozumel, Isla Mujeres and most recently Roatan. My take is that Grand Cayman is the best among these destinations.

Here's the question:

Taking into consideration water temperature, viz, sea life (large and small), walls and proximity of dive sites, what is the best location IN THE WORLD - and why?

I know there is no one answer, but I find that one will start to see a preponderance of similar answers which provides its own insight.

Thanks in advance Scubaverse.

If you like the Caribbean and you liked Grand Cayman then you will like the diving at Cayman Brac and Little Cayman even better. Little Cayman offers some of the most outstanding diving in the Caribbean IMO. We like to spend some time on Grand Cayman (snorkeling, shore diving, and having fun) before heading over to one of the sister islands for a week of diving.

Also in the Caribbean, we loved diving the walls off the Turks and Caicos - but the best T&C diving is only available from a liveaboard. But Provo is a fun island to visit topside.

Still other great Caribbean choices, Bonaire and Curacao have lovely diving. They are not spectacular, but there are healthy reefs and lots of beautiful sea life and they are nice islands to visit. Besides that these islands lie below the Caribbean hurricane belt and the water stays warm all year round. But you should enjoy shore diving if you go to Bonaire. The nicest thing about Bonaire is the "diving freedom" the entire island is focused on diving. It's a lot of fun but you should be aware that there have been recurrent problems with petty thievery on Bonaire so you will have to take precautions if you go there.

A few other good Caribbean choices: Saba is an out of the way spot with lovely diving around the sea mounts. St. Croix's diving is typical Caribbean and very nice (IMO) but the Fredricksted Pier shore dive is easy and fantastic. Dominica is a beautiful little island and offers many unusual critters including frogfish, seahorses, flying gunards and more (but Dominica is slowly recovering from a bad tropical storm so you may want to wait awhile before visiting - and it is hard to get there even at the best of times.) Cozumel offers lots of gorgeous walls and big animals but you have to be comfortable with drift dives to enjoy Cozumel.

You mentioned temperature and I am a warm water wimp. As much as I love Florida, the Bahamas, the Turks and Caicos, and the Caymans, I avoid them in the winter and spring because the water is in the 70s and I prefer 80s.

We haven't done much diving outside of Florida, the Bahamas, and the Caribbean; but we enjoyed the diving off Kona Hawaii. It was very different from the Caribbean but offered healthy hard corals and lots of beautiful sea life and night diving with Mantas was an outstanding experience.

We once did a liveaboard in the Sea of Cortez out of Cabo and it was great - drift diving and lots of big animals. And we did a liveaboard in the Red Sea and it was fabulous and the Thistlegorm was the best wreck dive we have done.

The water temps may be colder in areas outside of the Caribbean so monitor the average temps and make your best decision.

We have not dived in the Philippines, Fiji, Australia, or areas of Indonesia and the Pacific but I am sure that others can make recommendations for those areas. Good luck!

Wow Kathy! Thanks so much. That is a wonderful overview. Your post alone could keep me blissfully busy for years. Cheers.

There's this place called Wakatobi...

[video]https://vimeopro.com/user8747702/wakatobi-dive-resort/video/124247925[/video]

sadly, I haven't been there yet.

My take on Grand Cayman is that Turks and Caicos is similar but better. A lot more sharky anyway. The islands south of Provo (day trips) are among the best deep wall diving I've ever seen. And we did much of the best of Cayman's north wall also.

I think you can get this on Amazon also. Scuba Diving Destinations -Buy the Worlds Best Dive Destinations DVD But the two copies I tried both skipped in one place so that segment is considerably shorter than it should be.

I LOVE sharky!!! Thanks Steve.

---------- Post added October 8th, 2015 at 03:20 PM ----------

Steve,

If I win the lottery, I am going to Wakatobi, and I'm taking you with me.

A lot of people hearing 'creature feature' will tend to think 'big animals.' Sounds like you're speaking more broadly.

What's the best destination in the world is relative not only to what you want, but where you are, & how much money & time you've got to invest in the trip. If I were a multi-millionaire and could teleport, I'd probably have hit Wakatobi & Komodo by now! As it is, low to mid-range 7 day trips are on my agenda. I've never been to the Philippines or Indonesia, never hit Komodo or Raja Ampat, places people cite for great species diversity, or Fiji or the Maldives.

So, speaking as a 'local yokel' intermediate regional diver...

1.) Key Largo was one of the fishier destinations I've hit, with a nice array of species, fun shallow reef diving yet the option for some deep well-known wrecks. Conditions vary seasonally, viz. is good but not great, yet U.S. health care is close at hand, and that matters when you've got a baby or toddler with you, as does access to mainland attractions for non-divers. Trip Report 2013 with Rainbow Reef Divers.

2.) Bonaire is great for high-volume diving. Aside from tarpon, green morays, & the occasional tiger grouper or cubera snapper not a 'big stuff' destination, but you see more creatures when you spend more time in the water! And in Bonaire, if you can shlep that gear around, you can spend a lot of bottom time. I did a solo trip & got in 28 dives (1 guided, 2 boat, 25 solo).

3.) If you like nice conditions, a lot of time underwater, a variety of animals (including a decent number of reef sharks & sting rays, black & Nassau grouper, some other stuff), a live-aboard (for access to better, distant sites, & high-volume diving) out of Belize (for good conditions & a variety of dive site topography) about the Sun Dancer 2 did it for me. Sun Dancer 2 trip report May 2015. Here's a thread on picking a Caribbean live-aboard.

4.) Do you like big fish, & you cannot lie? How about the goliath grouper aggregation in the fall off Jupiter, Florida? If you want to get fairly close, see a bunch of them, it's the place? Trip report with Jupiter Dive Center 2014.

5.) Do you want close-ups with fairly big sharks without resorting to feeding or cage diving? Then maybe you need to see the off shore wrecks out of Morehead City (or Hatteras or Wilmington), North Carolina for deep wreck sand tiger shark diving? On my knees in the 'shark room' of the Aelous, with sand tigers circling & passing near arm's length from me, good times! Trip report with Olympus Dive Center, 2015.

6.) I want to dive with sea lions & see kelp! So I'm hoping to hit California next year. Thread on Southern California Brainstorm'in, where a lot of people helped me learn about the options. Truth Aquatics posted a 5 day limited load southern Channel Islands live-aboard trip for August 2016 on their calendar, and that's looking real good.

7.) I've only got 2 dives in Cozumel & would like to spend a week someday. Great viz., varied reef topography, budget range overall trip cost (unless you want to stay upscale; Cozumel Palace costs more than Hotel Cozumel!), some big stuff, & some people like drift diving. Living Underwater, Aldora & at least one other op. have the option for steel 120 cf tanks!

There are other options you might check into. A few thoughts:

1.) For the ultimate 'sort of diving' creature feature, the great whites of Guadalupe. Cage diving, surface supplied air I hear, but...great whites!!! Expensive.

2.) Tiger shark diving via live-aboard in the Bahamas. Can be cageless. A variety of providers. Fairly expensive.

3.) Oceanic whitetips around Cat Island, Bahamas. I've read enough about how 'inquisitive' these things can be to make me nervous about the idea, but some people love it.

4.) For shark fed divers out of Jupiter, Florida (at least 3 miles out to be precise, due to state law issues on shark feeding), Emerald Dive Charters with Randy Jordan. Pretty inexpensive.

5.) Stuart Cove is famous for shark fed dives out of Nassau.

6.) The Socorros live-aboard trips are famous for mantas, sharks & more. There's a manta night dive out of Hawaii that's famous amongst divers. Not cheap.

7.) Cocos Island & Galapagos are distant and expensive, but they get rave reviews for big stuff. But conditions can be 'challenging.' Expensive.

The options I laid out make sense to a guy living in southwestern KY who likes big stuff. But wouldn't make much sense of a nudibranch fanatic living near the Philippines.

Richard.

Richard,

The report you provide, with links no less, is outstanding... but the real win for me was the Sir Mix-A-Lot reference. You sir are clearly a renaissance man.

Thanks for the incredibly varied and detailed option list. While I may not drain a tank looking at a lettuce leaf sea slug, I do like macro. For me size doesn't matter... but the volume, frequency and variety of sea life certainly factors when I am deciding where to spend my scubabucks. This year a week in East End Cayman Island with Ocean Frontiers will have to do :wink: I'm thinking Aggressor or Sundancer in Belize may be next up.

---------- Post added October 8th, 2015 at 04:19 PM ----------

I'll make you the same offer. But let's not start packing just yet...

Deal. I have inquired about the private charter flights though... too soon?

Back
Top Bottom