Creation vs. Evolution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Bible is a collection of texts written with different under-pinning theologies and assumptions, spread over thousands of years, by many different people, in differing times and places and circumstances.

Anyone who presumes that it should be internally consistent simply does not understand either the nature of the text, nor it's proper place and use in a religious context.

And yeah, that includes a lot of religious people as well as critics of the religious.

Considering this, exactly how is it 'the word of god' :confused:

Considering this, exactly how is it 'the word of god' :confused:

At the risk of of prolonging a pretty long and boring thread, the Bible itself evolved over time to become the "word of god" instead of a collection of texts according to fundamentalist teaching.

Damn man you beat me to it :D
That IS exactly the difference, I do not go from door to door trying desperately to convert christians to rational thinking people, makes you wonder why christians feel the need to try and make everyone see it their way.

I don't go door to door either. The last time someone came to my door, it was they were trying to rally support to have city sewers put in. The time before, it was a democrat. It makes you wonder why democrats feel the need to try to make everyone see it their way.

Rational like a "invisable pink elephant"?

I don't want the Copernican Witnesses knocking on my door any more than the Jehovah's Witnesses or the Mormons.

Simple. My job as a scientists isn't just to discover new things, it is to educate as well. The continual attack on science by some members of some religious communities is a direct threat the the second half of my obligations.
What sort of institution do you work for? If you're that worried about public opinion, I would think that you must be reliant on public funding?

As in any other business, it's up to you to sell your product and sales takes up a fair amount of time in any business.
It also represents a direct threat to humanities future, as the doubts they spread have led to a wide-spread mistrust of science, to the detriment of many people.

Do you have anything to offer in support that statement? Thinking an awful lot of yourself and your profession to think that our future depends on it, aren't you?
Arthur C. Clarke stated it quite well:
I would defend the liberty of consenting adult creationists to practice whatever intellectual perversions they like in the privacy of their own homes; but it is also necessary to protect the young and innocent.

Bryan

It's only necessary that you protect your own young and inocent. In the "free world" we prefer to decide for ourselves how best to do that. I don't get the impression that Arthur C. Clark was thinking that folks should have that freedom when he made that statement.

I don't want the Copernican Witnesses knocking on my door any more than the Jehovah's Witnesses or the Mormons.

I wish I'd have known that sooner. I wouldn't have been giving out your address:D

I don't try to stop it but I don't want the federal government of the US to fund it with my tax money.

And we shouldn't have a say in what our children are taught in school?
Aside from any ethical question involved in a "womans reproductive rights" is, yet again, the issue of where my tax money goes.

Our say so in how are taxes are spent is indirect. That's what our elected officials are for they're supposed to speak for those they represent. I don't want my taxes spent on the war in Iraq and never did but they're still being used there.

I understand that abortion isn't legally defined as murder...though I believe that it is. Interestingly, in some states in the US, the murder of a pregnant woman can be prosecuted as a double murder. Apparently, it's only NOT murder if the mother does it.
If you take a look at those statutes that allow for a double murder to be charged the fetus has to have reached viability for the crime to be considered a double murder. Sometimes it's a very close call either way.

God is the Creator of everything. He created it all in six glorious days. He is Almighty and for Him everything is possible. There was no need for evolution because God's creation was done perfectly and fully in six days.

God is the Creator of everything. He created it all in six glorious days. He is Almighty and for Him everything is possible. There was no need for evolution because God's creation was done perfectly and fully in six days.

Uhm, sure, if you say so :D

All abortion is killing. That isn't the issue being argued. The issue, is when that life becomes more important than the mother's choice or convenience...when that life is granted rights and protections under the law.

No it's not baffling. Most people don't know how their kitchen appliances work either. And, the age of the earth just isn't all that relevant in the conduct of day to day business for most folks.

....or that it somehow created itself. LOL

On the other hand, nowhere in the Bible is it claimed that something "invisable" was seen. The Bible says that Christ was seen crucified and he was seen after he had risen...but he was visible when he was seen. LOL

Not at all. The Bible accomplishes exactly what God intended.

Well whether all abortion is killing or not we'll have to agree to disagree on.
As far as I'm concerned that life becomes more important, but not necessarily more important than the mothers choice, if the child can live outside the womb.

The fact that some people believe the Earth is 6000 years old might not be important in day to day life but it is critically important educationwise, since if people can be made to believe the utter nonsense that the Earth is 6000 years old they can be brainwashed into believing just about anything.

Because you cant fathom the possibility that life arose from non life doesnt mean it didnt happen. Creationists are very good at twisting claims scientists make around to suit their needs. Yes some 'divine creator', for whom's (sp?) existence exists no evidence of any kind, is a far more likely 'explanation' for what we see around us, sure.

Uhm you know that was not the point. The bible says this the bible says that, so because it is in the bible it must be true, some critical thinking that is.

And what exactly does the bible accomplish? Other than fuel war, abandon reason, hinder science and delude people?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom