Creation vs. Evolution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to really get sucked into this futile creation versus evolution 'discussion', but, please do make the distinction between these two things: the fact of evolution and the theory that attempts to explain how it takes place.

Evolution is an undenyable fact, denying evolution takes place is about as ignorant as claiming the earth is flat. Does the theory have all the answers? No, it doesnt and that is ok, because if a theory doesnt answer every question it does not mean that the as of yet unexplained facts must therefore be contributed to some invisible deity. Also known as 'god of the gaps'.

Another important thing to remember is that evolution theory (ET) doesn not explain or even attempt to explain how life arose in the first place. As of yet there is no scientific explanation, there are some ideas on how that could have happened. Does this require a god? no of course it doesnt.

ET is so far the only scientific theory we have, there is no scientific alternative.
'Creation theory' is of course a bogus term, Creationism is neither theory nor fact; it is, at best, only an opinion. Since it explains nothing, it is scientifically useless.

Ok I got sucked in anyway :dork2:

Creationism is neither theory nor fact; it is, at best, only an opinion. Since it explains nothing, it is scientifically useless.

are you kidding me?

it explains everything: an All-Powerful Deity created the universe and the earth in seven days about 6,000 years ago. He's also promised pretty soon there'll be a judgment day after which those who don't meet with his approval will be incinerated.

not sure what there's left to explain ... i mean ... some people

evolutionkills.png

are you kidding me?

it explains everything: an All-Powerful Deity created the universe and the earth in seven days about 6,000 years ago. He's also promised pretty soon there'll be a judgment day after which those who don't meet with his approval will be incinerated.

evolutionkills.png

And he created it in such a way that non-believers would be fooled into thinking the earth was millions of years old.

Thanks for taking the time to make that post Warthaug. Although you are preaching to the converted to me, I often come up against those arguments against homosexuality with Christians I know, so I appreciate you posting those links.

Also, love the picture H2Andy :)

Ditto - Bryan, regardless of which side of the debate one is on, the effort and cited support put into that post is phenomenal. I hope it's given the consideration it deserves.

are you kidding me?

evolutionkills.png

lol. I like the picture!

And just one last note - it is possible to decide not to follow ones biological impulses - everyone does that all the time. But what evidence we have today suggests that the anti-gay movement has it backwards - people don't "choose" to be gay; rather biologically gay people choose to be straight.

Bryan

But all these other folks have been telling me that we don't have a choice. Urges may have bilogical roots but love is a choice.

But all these other folks have been telling me that we don't have a choice. Urges may have biological roots but love is a choice.

But love is tied to your biology and evolution. Being in love with someone is a feeling, given it is a complex one. It is the chemicals in your brain which cause that feeling. As an example if you have ever been drunk you may have felt a stronger feeling of love for someone, who otherwise sober you may not have had any feeling of love for or only a smaller feeling of love for. This increased feeling of love is the chemicals in your brain getting confused by the alcohol, thus the correlation between the feeling of love and the chemicals in your brain.

Love is probably an evolved form of lust, which evolved over time as societies became more stable and humans evolved. It makes sense given the feeling of love encourages people to make sacrifices for loved ones, this in turn promotes the survival of the family, obviously giving their children and chosen partners a better chance of survival. Thus promoting their own DNA or at least their own partner selection.

Very interesting article on love, lust and evolution below.

"Love appears to be a more evolved behaviour than lust, according to new research that has mapped the brain's centres of love, lust and attachment..."

News in Science - How to tell love from lust - 13/06/2005

I'd love your thoughts on this Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom