Creating training dive platform

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beau640

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Searching for threads on here about how to create dive platforms for training purposes, the threads talk about sizes/depths of what platforms should be but not actually how to create one.

I'm looking to create a dive platform in my local area, probably will be about 10 feet by 10 feet or so and about 30 feet deep. The bottom in this area is approximately 1 foot of muck and would like the platform to be about 10 feet above that muck (40 foot bottom).

Logistically, how do you create one of these? Should it be a big steel frame to support divers with slats across it so that it is sunk and sturdy? Is there a way to sink an aluminum palate like platform and suspend it in some way? Does it need anchoring/posting into the muck/ground at the four corners? Can it be something buoyant that is just tied down at a couple of points underneath by barrels filled with concrete? I actually have no idea how other platforms are suspended/created at certain depths.

The logistics once I have a design of actually getting it into the water and properly positioning/sinking it will have to be another thread when I actually figure out how to design it...

Thanks!

This site should give you some ideas. I think you can actually buy through Home Depot which will save a lot on shipping. Home

I would think aluminum would be best. You can use dock augers to anchor your posts in the muck. Perhaps slip some home made concrete doughnuts to fit over your posts on the bottom to give more rigidity and support and then mount your platform. It might be a good idea to put gussets on the platform corners to make the structure more rigid and keep the posts from bending with a bunch of overweight negative divers pulling on it in every direction. :)

Note, I have no experience in building scuba platforms, but I'm handy. :wink:

Go neutral and forget building a platform. My students aren't allowed to kneel, lie or stand while on Scuba. No, not even in the pool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom