creating new seals on wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buff

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a problem with wetsuits: I weigh 207# and I have wrists and ankles that most ballerinas would envy-VERY skinny. A can get on a XL 5 mm. suit and they fit - tight around my chest and arms but they fit- but in the ankles and wrists they are so loose it defeats the purpose of a suit at all. I don't want to spend $500.00 dollars(if not more) on a custom fitted wetsuit since I only have a problem with the wrists and ankles.
Here is my question: Is is possible to put in latex or neoprene seals - like on a dry suit-to minimize water leakage. And where would I go to get these seals, or who would I talk to???

Thanks
Mike

Originally posted by buff
Here is my question: Is is possible to put in latex or neoprene seals - like on a dry suit-to minimize water leakage. And where would I go to get these seals, or who would I talk to???

Mike,

That's a special kind of suit called a.... semi dry suit!

Semi-drys have almost exclusively neoprene seals. If your LDS does neoprene repairs they should be more than happy (and capable) to cut 4 inches off the sleeves of a wetsuit and replace it with a dry suit seal. If you live in dry suit country all dive stores will have replacement drysuit seals, and probably in both latex and neoprene - neoprene is what you want.

It might take a bit of time for them to do it, or they might have to send it away, but this is no big deal.

The alternative... is to find a real semi-dry! (although you might have the same problem and end up changeing the seals!)

Jon T

If you're brave & have basic glueing skills, it's not all that hard to make & install some seals yourself.
If you can get your hands on an old Unisuit manual, they have instructions on how to do it in there.
I have the manual here in .pdf format if you still need it...

Back
Top Bottom