created an underwater beer cellar, though I'd share it

What do you think about this crazy project?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...maybe you can take a page from the Guinness cans. Include a plastic widget that contains compressed CO2.

Despite living in Belgium where there is a vast variety of really really great beer, I am still very partial to Guinness Stout. One should know that Guinness, the traditional brew that comes in the bottle/can with the widget, is not carbonated....it is nitrogenated. But to your point, the OP could take a page from Guinness and use a similar system be it NO2 or CO2.

:cheers:

Cheers,
-Z

Despite living in Belgium where there is a vast variety of really really great beer, I am still very partial to Guinness Stout. One should know that Guinness, the traditional brew that comes in the bottle/can with the widget, is not carbonated....it is nitrogenated. But to your point, the OP could take a page from Guinness and use a similar system be it NO2 or CO2.

Cheers,
-Z
I thought it was 75% nitrogen, 25% carbon dioxide. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

I thought it was 75% nitrogen, 25% carbon dioxide. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

I am not sure on the percentages...I could be wrong but my understanding, is that CO2 forms in the beer as a natural byproduct of the fermentation/brewing process...before the can or bottle is sealed they float the widget and inject liquid nitrogen in which pressurizes the can/bottle as it evaporates inside...this pressurization forces nitrogen into the widget. When the can/bottle is opened the nitrogen is released causing bubbles to form in the beer...perhaps some dissolved CO2 comes out of solution as well. but to my knowledge it is primarily the nitrogen that forms the creamy head and the very mild to no fizz texture that Guinness stout is known for.

It has been a few years since I hopped over to the Emerald Isle and paid tribute at St Jame's Gate, so my knowledge of the process may not be 100% spot on.

-Z

Cheers,
-Z
Gotta love a good Guinness... Ohhhh yessss... Interesting thoughts with the plastic widget. At this stage it might be a bit advanced for our needs hahaha... We used old bottles and upcycled a reclaimed pallet haha

I am not sure on the percentages...I could be wrong but my understanding, is that CO2 forms in the beer as a natural byproduct of the fermentation/brewing process...before the can or bottle is sealed they float the widget and inject liquid nitrogen in which pressurizes the can/bottle as it evaporates inside...this pressurization forces nitrogen into the widget. When the can/bottle is opened the nitrogen is released causing bubbles to form in the beer...perhaps some dissolved CO2 comes out of solution as well. but to my knowledge it is primarily the nitrogen that forms the creamy head and the very mild to no fizz texture that Guinness stout is known for.

It has been a few years since I hopped over to the Emerald Isle and paid tribute at St Jame's Gate, so my knowledge of the process may not be 100% spot on.

-Z
Thats super interesting mate. Thanks for the insight. We definitely don't have the equipment for this procedure...... Yet! For our needs simple carbonation is all we require... And we continue to hope that the salt water won't i trude under pressure.

Hah! That's Awesome! Hopefully it turns out well and the crate doesn't dislodge and float away or anything like that, or even worse, Beer Thieves! Looking forward to seeing the outcome. Cool Experiment Sir!

Hah! That's Awesome! Hopefully it turns out well and the crate doesn't dislodge and float away or anything like that, or even worse, Beer Thieves! Looking forward to seeing the outcome. Cool Experiment Sir!
Thanks very much and glad to hear you like it. We dove back down there and attached a rope with some carabinas to secure it to the wreck. But already even after just a week it had sunk and collected sediment, it looked like part of the wreck so floating away won't be a problem and I think that camouflage with sediment will stop any hijackers haha. And also thier moral compass

Is there enough pressure in a beer bottle to prevent water intrusion?
I wasn't sure... But you can check out the episode we just release now to find out... 😉😉

If you would. Like to see what happened with the beers we just uploaded episode 8, it's just a short one but you can check it out there.

Back
Top Bottom