Beqa Fiji Sept 2009 Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

okay, we are seriously looking at a trip to Beqa Lagoon in the next year timeframe... not sure which month yet.

What months have best vis?
How did you get to resort from airport? Do they pick you up and transport you? Is it extra?
Camera/camcorder rinse tanks on boats?

robin:D

okay, we are seriously looking at a trip to Beqa Lagoon in the next year timeframe... not sure which month yet.

What months have best vis?
How did you get to resort from airport? Do they pick you up and transport you? Is it extra?
Camera/camcorder rinse tanks on boats?

Best time to visit is May to October I am told (see first paragraph of report) :) Water is colder but less chance of rain.

There is a bus then a boat ride out to the island. This was included in my package deal. Please see my trip report, second paragraph, for further information.

Sorry I can't remember if there were camera rinse tanks but I think so.

thanks. Yeah, I read your report but there were so many pages of posts that I forgot that you mentioned the shuttle bus. I went back and reread it after I had already posted my questions. Sorry!
I got a couple of answers back in PMs from people saying that there isn't really a best time of year... best time is between full moon and new moon, when the tides are less dramatic. So I guess we will try to work our trip in around those.

thanks. Yeah, I read your report but there were so many pages of posts that I forgot that you mentioned the shuttle bus. I went back and reread it after I had already posted my questions. Sorry!
I got a couple of answers back in PMs from people saying that there isn't really a best time of year... best time is between full moon and new moon, when the tides are less dramatic. So I guess we will try to work our trip in around those.

Oh no stress :) I think the main issue is how rainy it will be as that won't be so good for shore diving (and in general hanging out on the beach in the sun!). I doubt it would affect the diving out in the lagoon though.

Oh no stress :) I think the main issue is how rainy it will be as that won't be so good for shore diving (and in general hanging out on the beach in the sun!). I doubt it would affect the diving out in the lagoon though.

The reason the dates Saspotato suggest are the best times is November to April is cyclone season. So you run a small but real chance your holiday will be cut short. Plus when it's raining the coral doesn't look nearly as nice, and it's pretty uncomfortable if you're not used to the wet tropics. Winter is only a few degrees cooler but much dryer. I've been to both Samoa and Fiji in March and December though and was lucky both times (just, we missed cyclones by days)

I was told by DMs of BAD that Bulls go to rivers for breeding from September to December. It may not be the best time to visit Beqa if you are thinking to do shark dives.

Hi All,

We got back from Beqa Lagoon yesterday AM after a week of diving. In terms of just visibility - it was fairly low - 20-30ft on some dives. This is due to a combination of all the rain and probably the cyclone as well.

I will try and pull together a more complete trip report when I get back.

Ray

Hi All,

We got back from Beqa Lagoon yesterday AM after a week of diving. In terms of just visibility - it was fairly low - 20-30ft on some dives. This is due to a combination of all the rain and probably the cyclone as well.

I will try and pull together a more complete trip report when I get back.

Ray

Low vis :(

We leave for Beqa on Friday, any tips??

I would strongly suggest the Shark Dive (unless you have an issue with feeding the sharks) We saw the big female Tiger Shark - kinda resembles a bus :) (a BIG bus)...

We had afternoon rains the 1st 2 days, and a real downpour the 3rd day. After that the weather became very nice. Soft Coral was beautiful, not a lot of fish, as mentioned the visibility was ~30ft. Some currents, most dives the DM's recommended that one jump into the water and swim for the bow line, and go down that...

HTH

Ray

Low vis :(

We leave for Beqa on Friday, any tips??
yes have a Great trip as far as vis we we there apr 3-10 and the vis on the boat dives were 60 -80 may be even better as a photograher the vis was appropriate for what i was doing. the vis out front was a different story in the mornings seem to be the clearest but given the chioce to either boat or dive from the shore the boat was the appropriate choice , by the afternoon vis out front was 1-10 feet with the boat traffic . we did 3 shore dives but i have not much to say about any of them . we just hung around slept or did the activities at the resort . i was a bit sceptable at first ( as we tend to go hardcore at dive resorts 4-5 dives per day ) . we grew to really enjoy some of the cultural activites that were offered . please say hello to Te elmo from Rutu ( Allan ) the shark dive i felt bit of a let down , but still worth doing . they chum the waters and the local fish are in full force vis drops conciderably . if you carry a big camera ( like realy big) they will make sure you get a front row seat ( if you have a camera that takes vid take your own video as the the one they sell you is of poor quality and uses a fair bit of stock video. the videographer however is top notch DM we really liked Him ( he was our fav)sorry cant remember his name. he was not only very knowledgable but friendly. the Dive boat we dove had blue awning , we heard complaints that one of the other ones were rather diesely and didnt have as much shade. speaking of shade wear screen , even if you hide under the awnings you will fry like bacon rain or shine. i forgot one day to wear screen and i paid the price It was even cloudy . one other point Its fiji its very Laid back the boats are slow use the time to enjoy yourself you will hame plenty of time to get to know the great divers on your boat .

i realise you might not get to see this in time but may be somelse might find it useful info

Attachments

• IMG_2197.jpg
    IMG_2197.jpg
    376.5 KB · Views: 81
  • Copy of IMG_2256.jpg
    Copy of IMG_2256.jpg
    399.8 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_2611.jpg
    IMG_2611.jpg
    429.9 KB · Views: 66
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back