Crazy - 1080p cam + 180' housing for $270?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have the camera with me, otherwise I would try to measure the dome. It is surely less than 18cm interior diameter.

Today, I received an email from GoPro Technical Support regarding the underwater focus problem. It said: "Our developers are looking into whether we can possibly offer a different housing or housing lens in the future to correct this issue."

I think sales to divers will be low until the fix is available.

Today, I received an email from GoPro Technical Support regarding the underwater focus problem. It said: "Our developers are looking into whether we can possibly offer a different housing or housing lens in the future to correct this issue."

I think sales to divers will be low until the fix is available.

That doesn't seem to be saying anything different than what they said when the issue first came up. Hopefully they're serious about looking into an OEM solution!

Here is an experiment using the Hero HD, Apple iMovie, and YouTube. Each upload consists of a single scene 9 seconds in length presented 4 times, first as raw video, second with some color corrections applied, third with medium zoom and, fourth with maximum iMovie zoom.

The original native file is HD 960p video but in 4:3 format. When uploaded to Youtube the resolution is limited by Youtube to medium resolution 480p. If the same clip is forced to 16:9 format then youtube accepts an HD upload and after processing displays it in 720p, two steps higher! Go figure; must be the format rather than the native resolution that triggers the bandwidth block.

Consequently, the question is: Which is better, (1) to force the frame to letterbox so that it can be viewed as HD on youtube, or,(2) keep the original aspect ratio and accept a lower resolution on youtube.

YouTube has fully processed the uploads. Select viewing resolution by opening drop down "p" menu (usually next to the volume control)

YouTube - big mouth 2
YouTube - big mouth 3

YouTube choices:
HD 1280 x 720
Large 720 x 540
Medium 640 x 480
mobile 480 x 360

Last edited:
As I understand, it is the radius of the curvature of the dome (housing lens), not the diameter of the lens, which would need to be estimated/measured to plug into the calculation for a diopter to correct for underwater.

I don't have the camera with me, otherwise I would try to measure the dome. It is surely less than 18cm interior diameter.

Not having seen the unit in person, does the lens of the camera protrude into the curve of the housing lens? i.e. could you place a flat lens in place of the curved one or would it be necessary to extend it out away from the camera ? if so approx how far ?

Here are a couple of images that show how the fish eye camera lens (with 170 degree field of view) protrudes from the body and one showing it in the watertight case with user replaceable dome lens.

The glass camera lens fits right up against the glass dome of the case that itself sticks out from the body of the case. The thickness of the case and the black plastic screw-down retaining ring collar are approximately the length of the camera's lens barrel.

Presumably, there exist optical specifications that would alter the dome lens resulting in a focused underwater image. If we knew the specs, couldn't I remove the dome lens and ask a local optician to grind it? The manufacturer offers a lens replacement kit, consequently there is no risk to the experiment.

I just learned from GoPro that reusable desiccant packs will be available from May 12th! This is great news.

gopro-2_X8se5_54.jpg

gopro_hd_surfhero_hand1-670x670.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like one solution to the underwater focus problem is about to be released for purchase. Their approach is an unexpected one too. More at:

Something Rich And Strange ... Diving Tales From The Water Underworld - FKA Kiteboarding Forums

This solution was first discussed in this thread earlier this month thanks to MattS:
... company is coming out with a fix, hopefully this month. GoPro HD Hero SPECS PAGE - EyeOfMine Multimedia

You can email the Eye of Mine owner (russell@eyeofmine.com) to get on an "I'm interested" list.

I might try his flexible bag solution if he would simply strap the corrective lens to the case instead of putting tiny sleek elegant watertight camera into huge bulky ugly leaky bag. The bag defeats the main advantage of the Hero! At $70 it is a non-starter for me. If it were $25 I would buy the bag then cut out the lens myself.

Last edited:
Go figure; must be the format rather than the native resolution that triggers the bandwidth block.

Consequently, the question is: Which is better, (1) to force the frame to letterbox so that it can be viewed as HD on youtube, or,(2) keep the original aspect ratio and accept a lower resolution on youtube.

You are correct, Youtube clearly documents that it activates the "HD" option if your video dimensions are 1280x720. Note that youtube also supports 1080p, if you upload at the full resolution of the Hero HD (1920x1080).

As to which is better, by far the best choice is to crop the native file to conform to 720p vertical, since Youtube's HD formats are much higher bitrate and quality than their 480p option. In fact, I ran some tests earlier with non-HD footage (640x480 video), and upscaling the video to 720p and then uploading to youtube resulted in better quality footage than sending the native file directly to youtube. The compression/bitrate difference between HD/SD on youtube is enormous.

Personally, back when I shot in 4:3, I would set iMovie's project to 16:9 and then custom-crop each scene to fit the widescreen ratio, as some shots will undoubtedly have more interesting features at the top or bottom of the frame.

Edit: if at all possible, DO NOT force pillarboxes on your 4:3 source video. IMO, it's much more pleasing to selectively crop to 16:9 and maintain full window coverage, rather than have a resized image with pillarboxes on the side. However, if the composition of your shots are that it REQUIRES 4:3 coverage, then forcing pillarboxes to get youtube to process in HD is a better solution than uploading in 4:3 SD.

Hi everybody,

I just bought a GoProHD to do underwater video, I know there is some problem with the lens, so I will build an adapter to put on the original lens, made in aluminum/clear Polycarb.

So if my test is a success, I will sell few of them... What do you think about that ?

Would someone be kind enough to:

- Measure the outer and inner diameters of the ring that surrounds the dome port?

- Upload a picture showing a side view of the housing so we can see how far the dome protrudes?

I just ordered a GoPro HD and while I'm waiting for it to arrive I'd like to start getting parts together for the underwater fix.

I'm thinking about using the glass from a photographic UV filter, adding a shim so it doesn't touch the dome, and epoxying it into place. I hope that the minimal(?) air space between the dome and the glass won't be enough to crack the glass at depth.

Otherwise, I still have the baggie with the acrylic port, but I found out the hard way just how easily acrylic scratches. I wiped the port with my finger trying to remove some lint, and now I have a slightly scratched up port. :banghead:

And has anyone attached the GoPro to a tray with handle and lights? If so, how did you do it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom