Crazy - 1080p cam + 180' housing for $270?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vokjy,

Thanks for posting the photo and diagram.

It would be nice if your adapter has the right outer diameter to accept a push-on red/orange filter. Push-on is important since it is very difficult to screw in a fine pitched threaded filter while underwater and/or wearing gloves. :)

Good luck with your project. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Vokjy,

... push-on red/orange filter. Push-on is important since it is very difficult to screw in a fine pitched threaded filter while underwater and/or wearing gloves. :)

I agree, anything for divers must assume we're all thumbs! lol

I wonder if computer software is more effective at adjusting red than physical filter. If filter is the way to go then don't make it an add-on, make the filter the flat glass so it is red all the time. I'm not using GoPro except in the water, never need to remove the filter.

On the other hand, according to this site, a simple underwater filter subtracts light equivalent to 1 to 1 1/2 f stops. At depth, light levels are already well reduced. I don't want to haul around video lights so I wouldn't want to loose any potential light on the camera's image sensor. http://www.uwphotographyguide.com/underwater-photography-filters Deeper than 30ft underwater, all reds are gone, and no amount of filtering can restore them.

Last edited:
I'm looking for this screw, but little bit longer like 3 mm longer (0.120 inch).

pict0123x.jpg

Thank you.

screen-capture.png

i was thinking, that extra lens for gopro costs only 19.90 dollars. You get 2 extra rubber bands with it. then you just cut a flat lens from polycarbonate. stack all three rubbers over each other and find bit longer screws.

what do you think? this fix would be removable. how firm is the rubber. can you stack them over each other. Other option would be replace the original lens with flat one and two/three rubbers

Last edited:
... stack all three rubbers over each other and find bit longer screws ... what do you think? replace the original lens with flat one and two/three rubbers
That sounds like it might work!

The field of view is 170 degrees because of the deeply curved lens. If you stack washers would part of the lens be obstructed?

yes, with this fix you want to shoot with 1080p mode (135 angle). But that is the same for all fixes i have seen. in 170 angle modes you will have black edges.
The EyeofMine bag filter doesn't seem to affect the actual field of view as seen in their demonstration video.

With no viewfinder, I find it harder to aim the camera underwater when it is in letterbox format. Much underwater activity has a material vertical element to it and is harder to capture using a wide horizontal format. Do you notice if the underwater image is less distinct in 16:9 compared to 4:3?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom