Crazy - 1080p cam + 180' housing for $270?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I actually just wrote to the guy suggesting that a bump to 130 ft rating would benefit divers. Now I know lots of guys go deeper than that, but 130 ft would at least let the "typical" diver take the camera along without worry.

Even with a 100 ft rating I am likely to buy the thing if the price is right.

I would say at least 180ft... :)

Hopefully the solution that GoPro is working on will be able to go the full depth.

I might be to late for me. I just bought myself a brandspanking new housing for my Sony XR500.

GoPro is working on a new lens for underwater use - so the depth limit shouldn't change. They are hoping to have it out in 1-2 months.

Where did you get the GoPro timeline from? I got customer support to say they were "looking in to it" or something vague like that, but that's it.

A factory option would be great. I hope we get the details on both soon.

Just got an e-mail and some links about the fix.

It's basically like an Ewa-Marine bag for the GoPro HD with an acrylic flat port in front of the camera lens. Looks like he thought out the accessories pretty well.

Youtube: YouTube - GoPro HD Hero Underwater Focus Fix Housing
Or Vimeo: GoPro HD Hero Underwater Focus Fix Bag on Vimeo

And the web page: GoPro Hero camera-underwater focus fix

Price will probably be $69.99 and available May 1.

I may just have to order a GoPro HD for my upcoming trip to Guam. :)

I just got the email too. At $70, I will wait to see if the manufacturer comes up with something too. If not, maybe I will get one for my trip later this year. I'll be curious to know what people think when they get this thing.

True. $70 is a bit steep for the bag. But I give him credit and thanks for coming up with this simple fix. Besides, if it's coming out on May 1, it may not get to Japan before my trip which is really too bad.

I just pulled out an old Aquapac baggie-style housing that I bought in a camera store's clearance bin for $5 about 10 years ago, and never used. It has an acrylic port and a "wireframe viewfinder" for framing -- with a little velcro it seems like it might just be perfect for the job.

Can't find any depth rating on this bag, but most are rated for around 10 to 15 meters -- primarily depending on the strength of the camera body itself.

Being that the GoPro HD housing itself is rated to 180 feet, I figure that even if the bag leaks a little at depth, the GoPro housing should be fine and the camera safe.

Looking for somewhere to order a GoPro HD Naked with shipping to Japan now.

This would be great!
- 1080p at 30fps
- Small and lightweight (airline luggage restrictions are getting ridiculous these days)
- No having to crack open the housing and change tapes between dives

I'll have to figure out how to velcro a tray to the bag so I can use lights, though.

I'm glad I decided a while back to go with a new P/S that also takes 720p video. My Canon SD980/ Ike housing performed admirably in Socorro in March. While it isn't 1080p, effortlessly bouncing between still and video more than makes up for it. I just used the Canon to film half of an Elvis Costello concert in Atlantic City on Friday night. The quality in the low light was great, and the sound incredible !! For those of you who haven't yet spent the money on the GoPro, I'd look at a still that shoots HD. A bit more money but the quality, ease of use and the all-in-one small package is WAY worth it IMO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom