Craziest thing you've done to save a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

no such thing in the quest for dive knowledge, pete! :D

Zip tied fins to my feet, due to a broken fin strap.
Broken inflator hose, just dove without it and used drysuit for buoyancy.
Taped punctured wrist seal, worked well, only minimal leakage.
Replaced numerous hoses, straps, pieces of equiptment with parts from my spare parts kit.
I take that kit everytime I go diving and it has saved many dives, not just mine, but my dive buddies as well.

I once did a bunker dive after tearing the ligaments in my foot. I ripped the ligaments off after hours of draging equipment to the entry of the submerged bunker.
It was illegal to dive there and the bunker was scheduled to be demolished so i did the dive.

I later drove my car home from Austria for 1000 km back home because my wife couldn't drive yet. Back home it turned out i had a bonefracture were the ligaments tore a piece of bone off my ankle.

Blew out the back zipper in my neoprene drysuit as I jumped in during a hull cleaning a couple of Januarys ago. No choice- had to finish the job. Nothing like spending 40 minutes with 50° water pouring down your back and filling up your suit! :shocked2:

First night dive my buddy and I shared a dive light.....real fun? :shocked2:

Brought the wrong fuel hose and tank for the outboard. Took the fitting off the free end, popped the motor's fuel line from the backside of the fitting underneath the cowling, and bridged them with the barrel of a metal ball point pen. Freebie from a pharmaceutical rep, and a leak-free fit.

Spun the prop nut off the outboard once, which became evident when I put the transmission in reverse and the prop followed suit. Fortunately I'd just finished a lake dive and was trolling in shallow water. Donned the suit, mask, and partial tank again, dove down to find the downrigger ball had been bouncing along the steep bank, followed the trail back for a few minutes, and found the prop. Slipped it on the shaft, put the transmission in forward, and trolled the rest of the way back to the marina. Saved the back-end of the dive I guess - would have hated to paddle 600 yds with one oar. Had to dive for the prop again at the dock, came in a little fast.

Sprained an ankle with all gear on, going down a gravel slope to the water for a night dive. Relied on the neoprene boot and the cooler water to keep the swelling down and kicked mostly with the uninjured leg. Hurt quite a bit getting the boot off after the dive. It was a 7 day tropical dive trip, and I didn't want to miss a dive. For the next few days I taped the ankle and stuck a plastic bag over my foot before I pulled the neoprene boot on. The plastic bag allowed for a lot of slippage and way less pain in doffing and donning the boot.

The thread has been reborn...

Nothing too crazy -

Forgot second inflator hose for drysuit - Inflated wing, swapped host to drysuit. Descended to depth releasing air from wing on surface and adding just enough air to drysuit to stop squeeze. At depth swapped inflator hose back to wing so that I could add air for buoyancy control.

Blew corrugated hose on wing so monkey dived with no wing/dry suit only. Pretty straight forward in a Fusion although I felt I could have been a few pounds lighter.

Duct tape has saved quite a few dives for me by taping torn wrist and neck seals. Also works on boat tube punctures.

Craziest (or funniest) thing I have seen (to save a dive) was a guy using a string to lower his violated dive computer back to depth to allow it to deco.

Ive done that as well to avoid bending a computer that was forgotten to set to gauge mode.

Although it wasn't me i have done a dive with somebody that due to a ruptured LPI hose on his drysuit we "shared" suit inflation. Id inflate mine, when he needed it he'd signal, i'd disconnect, plug him into my hose to add air and so on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom