Craziest thing you've done to save a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A few weeks ago while on a trip to Pompano Beach I hooked up to my tank only to discover that it had 1800 psi in it due to a slow leak from a faulted o-ring in the valve. I managed to control my breathing until I hit 500 psi and then I spent the last 20 minutes sharing air with my buddy with the LP108 until time to surface.

i fell at the dive site during a class and tore a little hole in my wrist seal. i did the dive with a duct taped wrist. the worst part was the grace exhibited in front of the instructor & the bf - the repair worked fine.

i've also used duct tape on a buddy's neck seal. that one didn't work as well.

wait, what am I missing here? where was your wing and wasn't there a band holding your tank to your wing?

Sorry I didn't explain it well, the wing was kinda in place due to the low pressure inflator holding it there, kinda. I emptied it prior to grabbing my tank. And the bands that held my tank in place where still around the tank and so was the single tank adapter I was using.

Sorry I didn't explain it well, the wing was kinda in place due to the low pressure inflator holding it there, kinda. I emptied it prior to grabbing my tank. And the bands that held my tank in place where still around the tank and so was the single tank adapter I was using.

:blush: ok I understand, thanks :D

I can see that I need to add duct tape to my save-a-dive kit. Problem is, so far, everything fits in a peanut butter jar. I guess I'll need to figure out something new. Maybe I can duct tape the roll of duct tape to the jar.

Saturday, I went to do a reconnoiter dive at a site in Lake Washington, and realized after I got in the water that I had taken off too much weight for the aluminum tank I was using. So I picked up the biggest rock I could find and carried it through the whole dive (20 minutes, max depth 40 feet). Peter had TWO rocks :)

Where were those rocks when I needed them?

I was doing some training dives involving multiple tanks. On one of them, I saw the face plate of my deco reg floating down into the abyss. Gone. On shore, I had to figure out what to do, at least for the next training dive coming up. It would be shallow, and I would not be doing real deco--just drills.

Of course, I got out the duct tape and made a duct tape face plate for the reg. It worked beautifully.

Luckily, when I had to do some real dives later, I was able to borrow another regulator. I was only going to trust that solution do far.

Hose started leaking.

Fix: Monitored pressure gauge frequently.

Horrible viz and weather.

Fix: Drove across Florida to other coast.

No weights and no way to get any.

Fix: Used rocks and stones.

Partner can't dive.

Fix: Dive solo

Alligator in the way of giant stride.

Fix: Used other side of boat

Broken mask.

Fix: Held it together with machine screw.

Faulty inflator.

Fix: Discharged unwanted air frequently.

Too cold.

Fix: Pour hot water in wet suit

Nat swarm so thick they fill your mask.

Fix: Flush em out underwater.

Small amount of water in lungs.

Fix: Mentally force yourself to NOT cough

Last edited:
I was towing a bunch of equipment out to where we were going to do some scuba instruction with my co-instructor. It was a real collection of stuff. Somehow during that time my mask got whacked and the right side post broke off, leaving me strapless. It was a long way back to the shore, so I did the entire 30 minute setup dive with no strap, just letting the slight suction hold the mask in place while I inserted ground screws, ran line, etc.

Later on a replaced that part with a paper clip wrapped in electrical tape. I still use it that way.

The heel on my (full foot) fins split once, so I duct-taped it to my foot. Worked well till I had to climb the ladder at the end of the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom