Craziest thing you've done to save a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can add another one to my list, but y'all still are topping me here: Thanks to a clueless lifeguard we ended up missing our entry window at a beach where the waves were...generous :wink:. Turn around just in time to see that our fate is sealed and we both got rolled pretty good in the sand. My alternate second stage got mucked up with sand and free-flowing so I swam out where the waves weren't as bad while shutting down the left post of my doubles, and then began field-stripping that regulator and cleaning it out underwater. Finish up and don it again to see my buddy had the same problem so I had to help him out with his, too :/.

Freakin' lifeguards....:(

Peace,
Greg

I made a replacement mask strap out of the elastic band from a pair of men's underwear.

I once made a couple of dives with no inflator hose for my drysuit.

We arrived at Lake Crescent, on the Olympic Peninsula, and realized that my reg was still set up without an inflator hose, having just returned from a trip to Oahu. I made the decision to dive, in spite of the threat of suit squeeze.

Two dives, max depth 95', left me with the most interesting body stripes...

I can see that I need to add duct tape to my save-a-dive kit. Problem is, so far, everything fits in a peanut butter jar. I guess I'll need to figure out something new. Maybe I can duct tape the roll of duct tape to the jar.

I know it doesn't really go with teh thread, but ....

Take an old credit/library/driver's licence/costco/etc Card and wrap the duct tape around it, the long way, several times.

- The tape can easily be used, if you lined up the layers fairly decently.
- The tape is almost the same width of most cards, so it wastes very little space.
- You can fit a surprisingly large amount of tape without making the 'card' too thick.

I used one fin because my buddy left one of his fins home and wouldn't dive with only one, but I did!

I slipped when cutting with a knife on my boat and managed to lift a cresent shaped flap of skin about the size of half a penny on the top of the second joint of my index finger. It was about 30 minutes before we were supposed to splash on a dive we'd been planning for a long time. So I pressed the flap back in place till the bleeding slowed to a trickle, then superglued the loose edge back down, reinforced with a couple steri strips and went diving.

It worked surprisingly well and healed just fine. Great dive too.

Superglue was originally developed as a wound closure adhesive, so that does not count as "crazy," that's smart.

So I picked up the biggest rock I could find
I was diving off the Aristokat at Venice Beach Florida and realized that I was just too light to search comfortably. If I completely exhaled, I was "OK"... then I found a mammoth tooth. I slipped that down my shirt and my problem was solved. I found 8 megs that day (which also helped) and got quite sick breathing contaminated air.

Last February, I was shadowing a cavern/intro class as a safety diver. As I was putting on my dry suit, I tore the cuff completely out. Three days of cave diving in a bathing suit was quite chilly, especially as there was a lot of intrusion from COLD river water.

oh, i've also used duct tape to re-stick my she-p. bob (gratefuldiver) was really impressed.

oh, i've also used duct tape to re-stick my she-p. Bob (gratefuldiver) was really impressed.
tmi... Tmi.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom