Crawling outa the water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

. . I wasnt expecting to walk out without my buddy, I thought she was behind me, I was looking down at my footing to see that I didnt step on one of the sharp rocks on the beach. It wasnt till I got thru the debris that I found that she wasnt there,, we were in 1 1/2 feet of water prior to us exiting ( where we last were side by side) ..

Ahhh that makes things more clear. Good to know. I have no way of knowing if she failed to signal you or if she signaled you but you couldn't hear her or see her.

Consider not writing her off without first talking with her. Debrief it and see if she too learns from the experience. If this was the only issue on the dive, it is easily fixable.

I learned alot from your thread too. Thanks for posting it.

And chilling...with beers and smokes in hand. My own 5 rules in diving, in order of priority:

5) Fornicate (after all the above is done. And clean gear too I guess.)

Er...:eek:

Remind me not to dive with you, that's a bit too much "buddy" for me thanks:shakehead:

As to the original question in the thread. I'd have to reiterate that since you noted your new buddy demonstrated difficulties with moving with their gear prior to the dive, I was surprised that you'd assume they'd be problem free after their dive...I would have thought you'd be paying extra close attention to make sure that they were able to get out of a landing which you also noted was somewhat challenging for you as well.

There is always rule 1 if you are concerned about your buddy's abilities in the future.

And chilling...with beers and smokes in hand. My own 5 rules in diving, in order of priority:

1) Resperate
2) Communicate
3) Navigate
4) Delegate
5) Fornicate (after all the above is done. And clean gear too I guess.)

Remind me not to dive with you, that's a bit too much "buddy" for me thanks:shakehead:

Ditto! :vomit:

Bill-da-ho, you have taken this very well and now realize communication and staying with your buddy is the way to go, thank you. Scuba is a dangerous sport. Everyone (your buddy for that day included) is responsible for keeping themselves in decent physical condition and build awareness of their surroundings.

That said, I now have to find an instructor and get myself rescue certified :)

Karma.

I don't ever plan to stop diving. I figure in 40 or 50 years I'm gonna need help with my gear. I've been helping folks with gear since shortly after I started diving. I'm building up lots of good karma for when I neen help.

Ahhh that makes things more clear. Good to know. I have no way of knowing if she failed to signal you or if she signaled you but you couldn't hear her or see her.

Consider not writing her off without first talking with her. Debrief it and see if she too learns from the experience. If this was the only issue on the dive, it is easily fixable.

I learned alot from your thread too. Thanks for posting it.

I'm not writting her off by any means,, I have a group that I normally dive with. She isnt typically one of them. It was the only issue really, with her on this dive. I did learn something from it tho.
And after seeing she had some issues standing befor the dive, I do accept the responsibility that I should have figured she'd have issues at the end.

Oh c'mon!!!! I didn't say with a buddy. Oh wait --- that sounds bad. :D

Going back to the thread as well, however, I got this thread sent to me by a buddy that met me through SB and came to visit a friend in GTMO. The entries here are horrendous, at least based on her reactions, so I made sure that if she were to fall, I was within a few arms lengths to help...kinda like being underwater too...just MHO to beat the perverbial dead horse.

Karma.

I don't ever plan to stop diving. I figure in 40 or 50 years I'm gonna need help with my gear. I've been helping folks with gear since shortly after I started diving. I'm building up lots of good karma for when I neen help.

The difference will be that you will ask for assistance.

"Hey you, Punk. Yeah you. Get over here and give this experienced old phart a hand with his gear. That's right carry this pair of tanks down to the water. Do a good job and I'll tell about the good ole days, and why padi is baaaaad."

or

"Hey little missy, wanna meet a real diver?"

oh wait, you do that now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom