Crap... I'm in a bunk, in a room of men

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I learned a trick from being on the road with people who snore. When it's my husband it is easy, just give him a shove but someone in another bunk is a whole other story. Just clap really loud. It is just enough to startle the culprit but not enough to wake them. It works every time. :wink:

-just hang a big sign that says "NO TRESPASSING-VIOLATORS WILL BE PROSECUTED..."

Change that to violators will be violated people might pay attention.

So my questions (and I'm a 40yo with 3 kids.....)
I can do bunks with mates on land, is it any different?

I find it the same. I've roomed with males on land as well as on liveaboards and I found it the same. Everyone was respectful of everyone and gave each other privacy whenever needed, normally without even asking. We found easy ways such as when one person is in the washroom, others can change. Also, people are in and out of cabins all the time. When one or two are out of the cabin, and someone's in the washroom, someone's in the room alone. It's easy to figure out routines from the first day or so. Don't fret, it should be easy to sort out.

Earplugs are a good thing to take when rooming with others. You never know when you might need them to get a good night's rest.

PJs? What do you do if they might catch a look at "old lady stuff"

I will wear something modest when rooming with others, male or female. In warm climates, I'll wear light pyjama shorts or capris with a tank top or t-shirt.
If I wear a little nightie, it will invariably ride up, so i don't wear one while rooming with others.

Gear and toilet bags and stuff in a very small cabin for 4 nights. Do I just harden the f**k up?

Pack as light as you can. Boats often have ingenious storage spaces using little nooks and crannies, and fit more than you might think they can. Soft luggage and a toiletry bag usually aren't a problem fitting into well designed space. Boats often have a separate area for gear bags so they're not cluttering up the rooms. Sometimes once all the gear is out, the gear bag is stored out of the way.

Four people and stuff in a small cabin is a challenge, regardless of gender. If everyone is patient, has a sense of humour, understanding, and a little awareness of everyone's personal space and time, you can concentrate on what you're going there for - your dream trip! :)

Think you will find it a non issue. Shared a room with a female diver a couple of trips ago - no issues at all. We ended up diving as a buddy team. She became a good spotter and took home a copy of my pics for the trip. Sharing a room was a non issue. Just respect everyone's privacy and likely they will respect yours.

Re snoring, the boat is likely to be louder than someone snoring depending on engine position and how much travelling you do (and how bad the snoring is). I find mostly that I am so tired after a day of diving I am asleep in seconds.

Last trip was an exception - roommate was a snorer and had some kind of sleep apnea. He would snore and then stop breathing........ for a very long time and then start up again. Was stressful for some reason. He ended up sleeping on deck because he slept better outside, so in the end was not a problem.

Make sure you throw them in a trash can and NOT the toilet.
Growing up sailing boats, my dad always left it to me to explain what could and couldn't be flushed down the marine loo to visiting females. I remember a school friend came away for a weekend sail once, and must have used a roll of toilet paper to wipe #2s. The pressure popped a fitting, and the stuff flowed all through the boat. Possibly her most embarrassing moment ever.

Care to share the name and location of this livaboard?
Spirit of Freedom, GBR. It's minke whale season!
Think you will find it a non issue.
Last trip was an exception - roommate was a snorer and had some kind of sleep apnea. He would snore and then stop breathing........ for a very long time and then start up again. Was stressful for some reason. He ended up sleeping on deck because he slept better outside, so in the end was not a problem.
The boss has sleep apnoea, so unfortunately I'm used to it! I don't suspect I can nudge my bunk mates tho...

I will wear something modest when rooming with others, male or female. In warm climates, I'll wear light pyjama shorts or capris with a tank top or t-shirt.

Pack as light as you can.

Four people and stuff in a small cabin is a challenge, regardless of gender. If everyone is patient, has a sense of humour, understanding, and a little awareness of everyone's personal space and time, you can concentrate on what you're going there for - your dream trip! :)

Thanks so much, really helpful post! Because I'm taking my own gear (from NZ to Oz) I'm forced to pack light. I think all up my gear is about 13kg, so that leaves me with 7kg for toiletries and clothes for a 7day trip. Should be fine. We motorcycled around Tasmania for a week with a small daypack each.
I shoul really use rental gear, especially wetsuits, but I really like my own stuff and their rental wetsuits are ugggggly :wink:

sigh. Dream trip. The man has "let me" wander into the nether worlds of livesboard diving overseas for my significant birthday, and I've just found out my 3 other bunk mates are male.
This could end well. They could be well behaved boys who pee without missing, who allow me space to change, and who don't snore!
I could end up with a really rotten situation.Crap... I'm in a bunk, in a room of men

So my questions (and I'm a 40yo with 3 kids.....)
I can do bunks with mates on land, is it any different?
PJs? What do you do if they might catch a look at "old lady stuff"
Gear and toilet bags and stuff in a very small cabin for 4 nights. Do I just harden the f**k up?

Any boys who have been in this situation in a shared room, on a very nice livesboard. Happy to hear your thoughts too.
Cheers!

Reading through the other responses it made me recall my college days. Back then my roommate and I had a system for averting one's eyes to avoid getting sun-blinded by the unbearable whiteness of being. When you needed a minute of privacy you simply declared "fair warning!" and you had roughly 5 seconds to look away until given the all-clear. It was a simple system that worked. You probably don't need to know about the "olfactory alert" warning.

My son and I did a week on the M/V Spree last summer. The bunks were in 4s, with privacy curtains, not divided by gender. The bathrooms were somewhat remote. It worked perfectly fine, no problems. You're there to dive, not much else. As a single diver, I would probably opt for a double occupancy room and run the risk of a same gender roommate. Probably more likely for a male to be roomed than a female. Regardless, I'm sure you will have a great trip. Any chance your husband will become a diver?

My son and I did a week on the M/V Spree last summer. The bunks were in 4s, with privacy curtains, not divided by gender. The bathrooms were somewhat remote. It worked perfectly fine, no problems. You're there to dive, not much else. As a single diver, I would probably opt for a double occupancy room and run the risk of a same gender roommate. Probably more likely for a male to be roomed than a female. Regardless, I'm sure you will have a great trip. Any chance your husband will become a diver?
This was only berth left on any of the boats when I booked in 4 months ago! Beggars can't be choosers I guess, and it's a popular time, school holidays and the whales in season.
My partner was a diver but he suffered a brain tumour 6y ago, and now suffers from seizures and cluster headaches. Not good for diving! My eldest is 11, so i guess she will be my dive buddy in a few years. At least she won't be able to argue with me underwater....

This was only berth left on any of the boats when I booked in 4 months ago! Beggars can't be choosers I guess, and it's a popular time, school holidays and the whales in season.
My partner was a diver but he suffered a brain tumour 6y ago, and now suffers from seizures and cluster headaches. Not good for diving! My eldest is 11, so i guess she will be my dive buddy in a few years. At least she won't be able to argue with me underwater....
LOL oh yes she can says the mother who has two sons that dive. They find a way!!! Whatever you do, don't give them a slate!!!

Although, my husband loves diving. He says it is the best family activity because it is quiet for an hour!!!

Back
Top Bottom