Cramps - how to avoid?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any suggestions?

1) Hydrate
2) Make sure you're getting your potassium, banana etc.
3) Make sure your choice of fins is not grossly aggressive compared to your physical conditioning.
4) Dive, Dive, Dive to condition your legs for this loading. Rather that wait for bottom time consider doing some surface time in a pool, pond or ocean cove skin-diving. It is the best thing you can do to jump start your diving in so many ways. Buddy optional so you can play a lot on your own schedule. This will also do wonders for your air consumption.

If you were diving dry make sure your legs are no ballooning. Kicking down with air bags around your calves will kill you. Check fit, trim and position of legs. Manage suit air with care and be more aware of dloary feet.

For me and some others it is simple. V8 juice. I prefer low sodium or the hot stuff because it has lots of potassium. We don't dive without it. If fact any time it is hot out and I work up a sweat I drink it to avoid cramping as I cool off. It works.

Loving the V8 advice. Of course exercise and all that healthy stuff is right up there but my recommendation lies with those posters that discussed fins not being right for you. Also, with those that discussed frog kick vs flutter.

I've seen so many divers cramping up, especially new divers using heavy fins (or fins too heavy/large for them), stiffness not right for the diver, etc. I suffered cramps for a number of years, meantime ensuring hydrated, magnesium and potassium intake, etc. etc. Changing my fins did the trick. Frog kick really helps too though thst is no longer why it is my preferred kick style.

I still attempt to stay well hydrated etc. and love my V8!!

I'm so glad to see knotical's link, supporting the position I've held on these threads for years, which is that electrolyte imbalances are RARELY the cause of scuba-related cramping.

The first thing you always see on these threads is a whole bunch of people blaming dehydration and potassium deficiency, but it just isn't common to have significantly low potassium in an unmedicated adult eating a normal diet, without any vomiting or diarrhea.

The article confirms that stretching is one way both to alleviate cramping and to prevent it. Conditioning the muscles you are using is another. HERE is an excellent article on muscle cramps in divers.

I'm so glad to see knotical's link, supporting the position I've held on these threads for years, which is that electrolyte imbalances are RARELY the cause of scuba-related cramping.

The first thing you always see on these threads is a whole bunch of people blaming dehydration and potassium deficiency, but it just isn't common to have significantly low potassium in an unmedicated adult eating a normal diet, without any vomiting or diarrhea.

The article confirms that stretching is one way both to alleviate cramping and to prevent it. Conditioning the muscles you are using is another. HERE is an excellent article on muscle cramps in divers.

Good info ... As for me, before getting in, I stretch all leg muscle groups similar to what I'd do before playing Tennis. One major thing that helped me in preventing foot cramps is(get this!!) not wearing Birkies for a prolonged time period prior to free diving. Aren't those damn things supposed to be the non-plus-ultra for foot comfort and support???

One of my regular dive buddies (Doctor Ron) has me taking magnesium now.
1000mg a day, split morning and night between two tablets.
That ended the problem for me.

As I am most assuredly NOT a Doctor, consult a physician prior to taking magnesium.
For some people for various reasons this is not a good idea.

Chug
Has not stayed in a Holiday Inn for over 10 years.
I prefer Comfort Suites.
Low magnesium is extremely common. Glad it's helping. I take magnesium to help my migraines.

---------- Post added August 11th, 2014 at 07:01 AM ----------

And yet for some of us even with all of the above, we still suffer! maybe time to try new fins? Significantly worse since knee injury, so maybe that's why?
You may have gotten those muscles deconditioned while recuperating. I'm dealing with calf pain from being in a wheelchair for six months, than another four months on crutches and a walker. Amazing how long it takes to get those muscles back into reliable shape!

Low magnesium is extremely common. Glad it's helping. I take magnesium to help my migraines.

Not to mention that most people are living in a perpetual state of mild dehydration. Really hydrating your body takes several days of full hydration, not just drinking water the night before. But most people don't even do that. They wake up and start drinking coffee, pop, and other caffeinated drinks, and then keep drinking more only when they feel thirsty and already dehydrated.

1) Hydrate
2) Make sure you're getting your potassium, banana etc.
3) Make sure your choice of fins is not grossly aggressive compared to your physical conditioning.
4) Dive, Dive, Dive to condition your legs for this loading. Rather that wait for bottom time consider doing some surface time in a pool, pond or ocean cove skin-diving. It is the best thing you can do to jump start your diving in so many ways. Buddy optional so you can play a lot on your own schedule. This will also do wonders for your air consumption.

If you were diving dry make sure your legs are no ballooning. Kicking down with air bags around your calves will kill you. Check fit, trim and position of legs. Manage suit air with care and be more aware of dloary feet.

I had been aware of the "hydrate way early, and often" advice since way back, but unaware of the potassium and magnesium advice. Antiacids have magnesium along with calcium so why not, and who wants heartburn during a dive anyway?

On the potassium side, and "eat your bananas", I love bananas, but how many of you have encountered boat captains who have a phobic superstition against bananas on board? I grew up around the water and hadn't heard of it til about 15 years ago. I'm occasionally a captain and do not object to bananas, though I do have other superstitions. What gives with banana-hate??

I am surprised that nobody mentioned medications. I have a friend that has been using CRESTOR, a popular Statin drug, to manage cholesterol. He was getting severe leg and abdominal cramps and recently discovered that it was caused by the medication.

He never equated “unexplained muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness” with cramps when asked by his physician.

CRESTOR® Side Effects | CRESTOR® (rosuvastatin calcium)

Edit: Do any of you docs know of other meds that can cause cramps?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom