Cracking Resistance Control on ATX50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chuffy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all, I hope somebody can help

I recently bought an ATX50/ATX40 DST reg set. Last week I tried it out in the pool for the first time. At a depth of about 5 meters air bubbles started coming from the Cracking Resistance Control knob. I believe it was fully open at the time. I turned it down slightly and the bubbles stopped.

Is this normal behaviour when the control knob is fully open at shallow depths or should I get it looked at?

Are you sure it was that they were coming "out of" the adjustment knob? I think it's more likely that the reg started lightly freeflowing, which is why you'd adjust that knob; it's basically the fine tuning of the cracking pressure.

ATX-50's seem to be notorious for light freeflows. My first setup would start to freeflow lightly, only my backup, when I got over 100' in cold water. After having the intermediate pressure dropped to 120psi, I was able to tune the second stages to not do that.

But given that adjusting the knob 'cured' it, I think you were just using the knob inadvertantly for what it's supposed to be used for.

I have an ATX50 and a ATX200 and never had that problem. The adjustment knob is probably the problem but have it looked at.

If leak is coming from the control knob, rather than the exhaust valve or mouthpiece, there may be a problem (dirt or damage) with the O-ring or sealing surface. If the problem persists, have it checked.

It may not have been coming from the actual knob. It did apear to be coming from that side of the reg though. It could have been coming from the exhuast valve.

Hopefully it shouldn't be dirt or damage as it is brand new and that was it's check out dive. I'm heading to Thailand next week to do a DM course, if it persists, i'll get it serviced when i'm out there.

I could run it into my LDS as they are an apeks dealer and service centre. They were ok about attaching my BCD hose to the first stage even though I bought the Reg elsewhere (online, but they don't know that!!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom