Crabs behaving badly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It must be mating season or something because the blue crabs around here are aggressive and fearless.

This guy was standing out all puffed up and flapping his paddles at me:

crabarms.jpg

These two were on the top of this rock and could be seen 20' away:

2crabs.jpg

SeaYoda:
It must be mating season or something because the blue crabs around here are aggressive and fearless.
Blue crabs are always aggressive and fearless... and lightning fast... and hurt like hell if they ever get you.
And.... DELICIOUS! :)
Rick

naughty crab pictures?

oh... how the mighty have fallen

:eyebrow:

The crabs around here tended to hide until the last few dives. Now they are out in the open and they seem to be the bigger ones. Don't the females have the red on their claws or something like that? Most of the puffed up ones seem to have all blue claws and are larger. I put my hand on a rock to steady myself for a picture of one and he came charging after my fingers - I never had that happen before.

Andy,

Should I go back into photoshop and blur their faces? :D

SeaYoda:

This guy was standing out all puffed up and flapping his paddles at me:

They thought you were Paul from last weekend and that you were coming in to get him from under the rocks. Those crabs that weekend were "Kamikaze!" and they are paranoide now after Paul "hand" came into those rock cracks and grabbed them out!

Speaking of Paul, I haven't seen him on here since we met him for that dive.... Hope nothing happened to him.

-Mike

SeaYoda:

Ha... I missed this the first time I read this thread. You should go back and put that black "photo bar" across their eyes!

too darn funny.

-mike

mike_s:
...Speaking of Paul, I haven't seen him on here since we met him for that dive.... Hope nothing happened to him.
I saw that he has been on the board but I guess he won't own up to the beating he took from those crabs :D.

"It must be mating season or something because the blue crabs around here are aggressive and fearless."

Like those b**tards need an excuse!
When I was a teenager, I volunteered at a science museum that had an aquarium and a living rainforest (SO cool). When I had to feed the urchins (ALWAYS seemed to share tanks with those frigging things), I regularly lost pieces of flesh to those creatures. Maybe some crab on crab action will help chill them out!

SeaYoda:
The crabs around here tended to hide until the last few dives. Now they are out in the open and they seem to be the bigger ones. Don't the females have the red on their claws or something like that? Most of the puffed up ones seem to have all blue claws and are larger. I put my hand on a rock to steady myself for a picture of one and he came charging after my fingers - I never had that happen before.

Andy,

Not sure about the colour, but the females have a wider tail. You gotta flip 'em over to see. :D

Warren_L:
... You gotta flip 'em over to see. :D
I'm not messing with these things unless I catch them for cooking - especially after the testimony by PhocaVitulina - I'd like to keep all my fingers :D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom