Crab cooking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

we must have different crabs from u guys here, from the sound of it...ours are swimmer crabs...

to put em to sleep put them in to the fridge for an hour or so, boil up some water with a bit of salt in it, put the crabs in it and bring it to the boil again, then boil for 5 mins, drain them and dunk into cold water. i find that if u chuck a live crab into boiling water, sometimes they drop all their claws and legs.

a thai sauce that is perfect with cray/crabs is lemon/lime juice, fish sauce, garlic, chilli, sugar to taste and coriander(u mite call it cilantro there)

awsome

None of the above post mentioned the most important ingrediant to cook a crab. You should add a beer to the water before steaming them. At least thats what we do when cooking Chesapeake Blues. Here's a link for catching and cooking them. http://searay.50megs.com/cooking.html

Ty

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
Throw the suckers in there alive... and cover your ears...
They scream something frightful and it might ruin your appetite...
When the moaning stops and they are red and their eyes are bugged out, pull them out of the pot and give them a proper burial...

They don't scream....

It is steam escaping around the shell...it is a whistle, not a scream.

Neither crabs nor lobsters scream; they just don't have the vocal capacity. The 'scream' is the sound of steam rushing out of their shells; like a tea kettle.

How many times does a guy need to include the word *joking* before you fellas get a hint that not everything in the post is meant to be taken with dead seriousness?

Of course they don't *scream*...

But they sure do hollar a lot... and cuss too.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
How many times does a guy need to include the word *joking* before you fellas get a hint that not everything in the post is meant to be taken with dead seriousness?

Of course they don't *scream*...

But they sure do hollar a lot... and cuss too.

I can't tell you how many friends I have (from New England, even) that still think that it is a death scream. Almost every time the words "lobster" and "eat" occur in a sentence, I have to explain this to someone. I was pretty sure that you were joking, but wanted to help prevent the spread of misinformation.

This weekend Spectre shared with me his technique to tell if a lobster is big enough to take..."If you're not scared, it ain't legal" which is also followed with, "if you are terrified, it's too big."

Jeff, pardon me if I misquoted you. Apparently you scare pretty easily, judging from the size of those lobsters you took out this weekend :D

AaronBBrown once bubbled...
Apparently you scare pretty easily, judging from the size of those lobsters you took out this weekend :D

I was just going off of KK Matt's points and grunts...

And what do you know, from what MSilvia brought up, you never saw a legal one underwater! :)

ANY crustacean will absorb or loose water in the pot due to osmodic pressure if the salt content isn't right. If the water is saltier than the meat the meat will loose water until the salt content is matched. This makes the meat easy to remove from the shell, but tough. If the water is less salty than the meat will absorb water making the meat very tender, but a real PITA to get out of the shell.

The ideal method to avoid the undesireable effects is to match the salinity of the cooking water t the water the critters were living in. This ensures a critter with tender meat that peels easily. Of course the easy way is to simply cook them in the water you took them out of. Another method is to use an instrument common to salt water aquarium folks to test the water salininty at the capture site, and then match it at the same temperature in the pot before adding the spices to make the "tea" and bringing the pot to a boil.

A normal South Louisiana spice blend (assuming water salt content has already been matched) for an 80 quart pot is:

4 or more large whole garlic, sliced in half horizontally to expose the "meat"
1 pound ground cayanne pepper *
Handfull of bay leaves
Lime leaves if available
3 or 4 grapefruit or other citrus of similar volume
4 large onions, quartered

*I prefer to use 1/4 pound of cayanne for the color, and a cup of crushed habanero to finish raising the heat up to a suitable flavor.

Bring this mess to a boil for about 15 minutes to make the "tea", then remove all the "hardstuff" left in the basket. The Hardstuff can be munched on during the rest of the cooking process.

The final boil procedure is to add a few more whole garlic to the basket, a dozen or so onions aobut 2" in diameter and a bag or two of creamer new potatoes (red ones under 1.5" maximum dimension). Place the basket back in the pot and return the pot to a boil, holding a medium boil for 10 minutes, then add a dozen few ears of peeled sweet corn on the cob broken into thirds. Allow the corn to cook for about 10 minutes, then add the seafood. Normal seafood quantities for this pot size is about:

1 hamper (about a bushel) of live crabs or
1 40 pound sack live crawfish or
30-40 pounds fresh head-on shrimp or
any combination of the above.

Allow the pot to come back to a roiling boil, stirring the pot with a canoe paddle occasionally. As soon as it boils, it's done. If you want more spice to soak into the meat ice the pot with 20 pounds of crushed ice to stop the cooking and allow the seafood to "soak in the pot" for 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and spread the mess out on the middle of the table to cool and be eaten, or serve it up on beer flats. This recipe feeds about 25-30 "normal" people, or 10 Cajuns.

Basic rules for a Cajun boil include:

1. If your lips ain't burning by the end of the meal, the cook skimped on the seasoning and needs to swim the bayou wth the water lizards!

2. If you don't need a shower by the end of the meal you obviously didn't like it!

3. Figure out how much beer and other beverages you'll need for the meal, then tripple the order!

4. Use the boiled spiced garlic on the corn like butter!

5. Never have a boil indoors unless refinishing EVERYTHING is planned!

FT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom