Crab cooking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You people are sick! It just goes to show that it never pays to be a crustacean.

Oh, and by the way, I refuse to legitimize your sadistic poll with an answer!

neve once bubbled...
as for cooking, I usually kill them by chucking them in the freezer for about half an hour (can't stand the sight of them kicking and screaming in hot water).

My experience has been that freezing them doesnt kill them, it just puts them into a state of hibernation. I still remember my mom running screaming from the kitchen when all the crabs she took out of the freezer and put in the sink 'came to life' and started climbing out after they thawed some...

And they had been in there for closer to 2 days, not a half hour.

When I am really in the mood for crab, I go to a local restaurant. They have a $14.95 all you can eat seafood buffet that includes BBQ crabs (Yummmmmm) fried shrimp and french fries. TxDeepDiver and I have spent close to 3 hours there before.

Amazing thing is, BBQ crabs just dont seem to fill you up...

... absolute goodness. I usually chill them till they're slow, then stick a knife through the centre of the carapace. Remove the gunk, quarter them, then stir fry in a big wok with a lot of garlic and fresh chilli. They don't need much else.

... d'oh, dribbling on the keyboard again.

Cave Diver once bubbled...

And they had been in there for closer to 2 days, not a half hour.

2 DAYS? :confused: gosh they must be some kind of a mutated alien crabs :jester:

anyways, I also stick a knife thru their middle before untying the knots (I buy crabs from the market, already tied)

And MerKiwi's recipe is excellent, I do it that way too sometimes :)

neve once bubbled...
actually I'm Indonesian and we put lots more chilli in it than the Singaporeans! :D

Ooo... I think I detect a hint of a challenge there. A year ago I'd've suggested a chilli chowdown but I've actually gotten pretty soft lately. Too much bland food coz of the flatmates. Stink. So you're off the hook. :)

same here... years in Australia and Singapore have done serious damage to my chilli tummy :D

oh btw, deep-fried crabs (no batter) is excellent too. just sprinkle some salt before frying whole crabs. douse in garlic butter after frying *yum yum*

neve once bubbled...
same here... years in Australia and Singapore have done serious damage to my chilli tummy :D

oh btw, deep-fried crabs (no batter) is excellent too. just sprinkle some salt before frying whole crabs. douse in garlic butter after frying *yum yum*

Great idea... I'll have to try it next time I get my grubby hands on some. In the meantime, I'm off to the local fish 'n chip shop for a couple of lovely processed deep-fried crabsticks. Hopefully that'll sate my craving. Mmm...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom