Crab anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We live in Southeast Alaska and there is some real good Crab here.
My Pug goes nuts over the stuff!

Never thought about giving our pugs seafood. The wife bakes cookies for them though.

I am not aware of a season on coral crabs. Been getting them off Lauderdale for a long time.

Craig

Geez all these wonderful stories & my Surumi is still in the refrigerator!

The good thing is that I will be flying into San Francisco in a day or two and can get my fill of Dungies @ Fisherman's Wharf! However, it's not like catching them yourself. It's more fun, and a single crab doesn't empty your wallet.

BTW- the best bait I used on a trap was tuna head. Chicken wasn't bad. Cat food also worked.

X

Stone Crab Season opens October 15th.

Claws from stone crabs are available pretty much everywhere in Florida: eastcoast, westcoast and pandhandle. Around bridge piles or footers (not much around the fender system) as long as they are exposed to tidal waters.
Season is open until May 15, then you have to wait until November first. The claw has to be at least 2.75" and you can get either 1 gal (bucket I guess) per person or 2 gal per vessel.

On that note, it is legal to get both claws but I consider it (MY OPINION) a bad thing to do. It is illegal to posses the whole crab but it is Ok to leave the guy with no claws, which pretty much puts a sign on its forehead advertising: come and eat me, I can't defend myself.

To answer your question: Yes, some of us enjoy getting claws as much as getting lobsters (spiny, shovelnose, spotted and whatever other lobsters are legal and willing to commit suicide)

Living in new england I always went for the lobsters. I was thinking about crabbing this year. We are allowed to take the whole crab, right?

Back
Top Bottom