Crab anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dub5ire

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Everyone is after bugs. Does anybody ever get crab?

Yea... great way to spend the weekend at the beach. Even if I'm not doing scuba, the crabs are generally within freediving range.

Dub5ire:

I have yet to find crabs of appreciable size when diving the NE United States. I have come across the occasional Blue Crab, Green Crab , "Stone" crab) Cancer sp. + "Lady" Crab. However, all of these guys are shrimpy and not worth the time.

However, if you live in the PNW - You could always go after Dungeness crab! These suckers are easy to get. In fact, in my college days I researched crab baits. As a part of my research I collected and ate some of my research subjects. Yum.

X

Some of the GoM boys do very well on Stone Crab claws when they are in season.

My favorite is Alaskan King crab but I don't fancy diving the Bering Sea!

Same as Linetech... I'll sometimes grab larger crabs when freediving from a beach, or if I'm skunked on lobsters and wanting dinner.

Dub5ire:

Claws from stone crabs are available pretty much everywhere in Florida: eastcoast, westcoast and pandhandle. Around bridge piles or footers (not much around the fender system) as long as they are exposed to tidal waters.
Season is open until May 15, then you have to wait until November first. The claw has to be at least 2.75" and you can get either 1 gal (bucket I guess) per person or 2 gal per vessel.

On that note, it is legal to get both claws but I consider it (MY OPINION) a bad thing to do. It is illegal to posses the whole crab but it is Ok to leave the guy with no claws, which pretty much puts a sign on its forehead advertising: come and eat me, I can't defend myself.

To answer your question: Yes, some of us enjoy getting claws as much as getting lobsters (spiny, shovelnose, spotted and whatever other lobsters are legal and willing to commit suicide)

I have always wanted to try my luck with Stone crabs, but don't know where. It is a great time to try since the Spiny season is now over. As Ana said the key is exposure to tidal waters. Does anyone have a recommendation for the best spot to try in SE or SW Florida?

MSilvia:
Same as Linetech... I'll sometimes grab larger crabs when freediving from a beach, or if I'm skunked on lobsters and wanting dinner.

Is this in Fla? Or is this in Mass.? When I get up to Mass. the only thing I can find is the Ipswich Clam Box. Best take out seafood bar none . :D

On another note if you get up to the PNW and leave bait - like a nice tuna head you can find all sorts of Cancer crabs on it in almost no time. My favorite is Cancer magister (Dungeness) or the occasional Cancer productus (Rock crab).

X

Mr.X:
Is this in Fla? Or is this in Mass.? When I get up to Mass. the only thing I can find is the Ipswich Clam Box. Best take out seafood bar none . :D

On another note if you get up to the PNW and leave bait - like a nice tuna head you can find all sorts of Cancer crabs on it in almost no time. My favorite is Cancer magister (Dungeness) or the occasional Cancer productus (Rock crab).

X

A warm summer night watching the sun set from the beach drinking ice cold beer and eating fresh hot Dungeness crab right out of the cooker. Now that is my kind of living. The crab is so sweet and full of flavor you need nothing to dip it into.

http://picasaweb.google.com/ScubaDiverScott/DivePictures

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom