Crab anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In South Carolina you must leave the stone crab with one claw.

So it's normal practise to rip the claw off from a living crab? Does it grow back?

down here the ex- brother in law had a soft shell plant... they would catch young crabs and keep them in a temp controled flat tanks (looked like long tables) about 8 inches deep with running filtered salt water... as the crabs got ready to molt they would be watched every half hour or so and after they shed their shells the soft crabs would be pulled out and quick frozen to keep them soft....In south Louisiana that is one of the delicacies Fried softshelled crabs..

We Dive for King Crab in the Winter and Dungeness anytime we feel like it. Kings are a little work to catch but there's nothing like King crab that's only an hour old.

Did a little dive today and there were King Crab everywhere but of course the season closed 3/31.

Dave

I can only imagine how that tastes,,nothing but the frozen down here....but I know how different the frozen blue crab and the "fresh blues" taste..

yep, My kids think king crab is just another meal, It means nothing to them, I've seen them just grab some from the fridge for a snack. We're Spoil in that regard. I never get more than we can eat it in a few days cause once it's frozen, I can't get anyone around here to eat it.

Dave

I thought the same thing until spending a few years in Maryland where the Blue Crab is eaten by the bushel every summer. If you have the right technique, some good friends (or not) and a cooler full of beer, pickin crabs is good fun and good eatin!:D

The rock crabs (Jonah Crabs, Peekoh whatever) here in NE are about the same size as the Blue Crabs in Maryland. A bit tougher shell but still not all that hard to crack. Most of the meat is where the legs join the body so you need to seperate the shell halves. I usuall will break the bottom shell in half front to back and then use a knife to cut along either side where the legs attach. That lays out the meat a little easier for picking.

Put on a little Jimmy Buffet, grab a beer, a crab, and a little wooden hammer, take your time and have a relaxing meal. PS. Crab is as good cold as it is hot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom