Cozumel: Wet or Skin Suit? (August Trip)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

staticcornflake

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hey Everybody,

I will be going on a cruise to Cozumel and Belize this August and I was wondering what type of wetsuit or skinsuit I should buy. I don't chill extremely easy, and I've been recomended everything from a 3 or 3/2 fullsuit to a 2mm shorty, to a 1mm microprene. What would everybody recomend?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jesse

At that time of year, if you don't chill easily, the primary reason to wear protection is the things you might brush against, not the temps. With a little care, you don't need any protection.

It's easier to let a bit of water in and cool down in a 3 or 3/2 fullsuit than it is to figure out how to get warmer in a skin.

While a skin might be enough for Cozumel in August, you probably will find a full 3 or 3/2 suit more useful other times and places. My O'neill 3/2 Reactor full has worked nicely in anything from 86F down to 76F.

It's like bathwater in August! On day dives, I usually dive in my bathing suit and gear only...and I typically get cold very easily. For night dives, a shorty or microprene would be fine. Cozumel is great. You'll like it. I use Sea Urchin Dive...in case you're looking for a recommendation.

I've seen it all from swim trunks and t-shirts to dry suits being used in the Carribean, and nobody ever seems to complain. I have only one wet suit, and I don't own skins. Mine is actually a a 3-5 suit! When the dive master in Cozumel saw it, he exclaimed "caliente!" But I had no problem with it at all. I would have been fine with a 3mm, or maybe a 2, but was never uncomfortable. As mentioned earlier, it's easy to let a little water in if you want to be cooler. I like the idea of putting on the suit and then not thinking about the water temp and just enjoying the dive.

By the way, I also used Sea Urchin. Had a very good experience with them. They were very professional and helpful.

staticcornflake:
Hey Everybody,

I will be going on a cruise to Cozumel and Belize this August and I was wondering what type of wetsuit or skinsuit I should buy. I don't chill extremely easy, and I've been recomended everything from a 3 or 3/2 fullsuit to a 2mm shorty, to a 1mm microprene. What would everybody recomend?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jesse

When the water gets above 73 degrees, I use a .5 mm wetsuit . . I use it as "Exposure Protection". It protects me against nasty stinging thingies, those that are stationary and those that are "mobile". However, perhaps the most important protection is from the sun. I burn easy, especially near the Equator. A thin wetsuit acts as the ultimate sun block (for me).

YMMV.

Wristshot

Hello,

I live in Cozumel. In August the water will be warm (82-84). A skin is nice as there are stinging hydroids here that can be an annoyance. I recommend that you dive with Caribbean Divers. Enjoy your time on the island. be going on a cruise to Cozumel and Belize this August and I was wondering what type of wetsuit or skinsuit I should buy. I don't chill extremely easy, and I've been recomended everything from a 3 or 3/2 fullsuit to a 2mm shorty, to a 1mm microprene. What would everybody recomend?

I wore only a lyrca shirt and bathing suit during my trip in June.

I purchased a dive skin because people warned me about "brushing" up against things.

Now that I'm more experienced, I can't imagine "brushing" up against the beautiful coral.

The shirt did, however, prevent me from getting burned from the rays that penetrate right through the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom