Cozumel trip report - finally!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great report. Lots of detail and great photos. Thanks for sharing it.

Very very nice photos

You gotta fire DH! You missed most all of my favorite restaurants!

I do love staying at Caribe Blu, the beach dive, next to Blue Angel, good breakfast and excellent lunch at the restaurant above the shop. Very convenient in those respects.

Was Kristine, the onsite marine bioligist there during your trip? She did some of her college in Australia, hope you two got to meet.

Thanks for your report, it was well done!

Yes, Christine was there. She was friendly, but we did have some problems when she offered to take us to see the hatchlings. I should have mentioned that...if you are there, make sure you ask a lot of questions before you go or you could be very disappointed.

We felt used and mislead...we had to keep the hire car for another day, were designated drivers, had another person added to our outing/car before our consent was sought (then the person was late meeting us - actually rang and asked if we could pick him up in town instead!!), neither Christine nor the extra person offered to help with fuel nor hire costs though we were their sole transportation (which we were not told until we loaded up and arrived on the scene), no turtles were hatching instead we were to pitch in and dig up 17 nests that had already hatched to count egg shells and help release any stragglers...then maybe we would hatch out a full nest.

I have been doing turtle hatchings for many years and know what it is like to dig up a hatched nest. Disgusting & smelly. I know it has to be done and some one has to keep the records. We would have had no problem with this at all had we been told and had we chosen to volunteer. But we were simply asked if we would like to go see the turtles hatching and making their way to the beach. Not told that we were expected to stay there all evening (each nest takes quite a while to dig, record and finish) & volunteer to help nor that we were the only way for the scientist and the volunteers to get back from the site! We felt enormous pressure from Christine to change our minds and stay until they were finished for the night, even if we didn't want to help out. She was sullen and unapologetic.

It was a terrible experience that left a very bad taste in our mouths. Was very disappointed as we took time away from other members in our party to do this and even then my mom still didn't get to see the babies.

Oh well, live and learn & pass info on to the next guy...ask those questions!! Christine was quite friendly for the rest of our stay...we were all over our mads quickly & didn't let it ruin our holiday, but still that stone sits in our bellies about the whole thing.

I have to say, this is an OUTSTANDING trip report. The photos are both excellent in quality and in helping add to the descriptions of the above water parts. I also appreciate your very honest opinions about the places you ate and the dive OP, and that you provide statements to support your opinions.

diveborg & Everyone - thanks for the kind comments. I did spend a fair time putting this together. I find some trip reports don't help me much and I really wanted to create one that people could use FWIW. I had to pare some of it down coz the original was longer still! There's just too much to say for our two weeks :)

alcina:
I had to pare some of it down coz the original was longer still! There's just too much to say for our two weeks :)

Well, you could always do a part 2 :crafty:

Thanks for the informative report... I agree with you, many people don't put enough effort into their reports - if you're gonna do it, do it right!

I know it's hard to compare but how does Coz stack up to diving in Oz?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom