Cozumel : Topside Activity Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mawg:
Or, you can always go down to the square, grab a bench and a cold one and watch the yankees from the cruise ships pass out from the heat. Good Times.

That is the ONLY reason I go to Palmera's. It is fun.

Also from Palmeras you can see the girls dancing bottomless on the bar at Mardi Gras'.

Sheeple watching there is great fun!!!

Same bar. Haven't been in there for a while, too loud, but they used to hang the womens underwear up over the bar. Anyone know if they still do that.

Mawg:
Also from Palmeras you can see the girls dancing bottomless on the bar at Mardi Gras'.

FWIW, I have never seen that. Other than the occasional boobie flash, I haven't seen much in the way of lewd and lascivious behavior on Cozumel. Since I am frequently in that part of town with my wife, my kid, and my mom, I'm glad of that.

There are several ways to go, both Tulum and Chichen Itza have bus tours that you catch in Playa del Carmen, both are all day trips. the drive to C.I. is at least 3 hours by bus or if you dive it yourself, so time is limited by the time you get to the site. tours include the trip, a guide & lunch (I think) & maybe soft drinks on the bus, it's been a while.

The second option is taking the ferry to P.D.C., rent your own jeep or car and drive to Tulum, (about 1 hr. south) or Chichen Itza (3+ hrs.) If you wanted to work in an a.m. drive and go to Tulum in the p.m. it woud be possible, just remember the archeological sites close at 4:00pm

The 3rd choice for Chichen Itza is to fly from Coz to C.I.

If this is where you want to go, and I HIGHLY recommend it, the plane trip is the way to go. We booked ours at the hotel with a Lomas representative, most hotels have them or some sort of activity desk. Lomas also has a website, that you may be able to book in advance.

these of course are only 2 of the many, many archeological sites in the Yucatan, but they are 2 of the most accessable from Coz.

Cozumel also has a pretty nice late period site called San Gervsio (sp?), not nearly as impressive as the one's on the Yucatan, but still a nice good sized site.

I would think booking in advace would be about the same as booking when you get there.

I did Tulum in June. We took the ferry over and then took the city bus over to the site. There are small shuttles in Playa that will take you to the bus station for free. We did not take the bus back though, there are van taxis that wait at the entrance to Tulum. It is only about $2 per person and they don't make all the stops like the bus so it is much faster. The only problem is that they don't leave until they have a full van. So you may end up waiting 20 minutes to leave, but it is still faster than the bus.

I had paid a deposit to dive the cenotes on that day but, as always, I got sick. I didn't feel good enough to dive, but not bad enough to waste the day in bed.

Some of the comments that say "go to Tulum, not Chichen Itza", are way off the mark. All of us will probably got to Coz 20 - 30 times in our lifetimes, so plan on going to both. Ya know, one one time then go to the other place next trip

Tulum is quite neat, not the spectacular ruin like Chichen Itza, but it has it's own interesting topography and stuff to see. At either site, get a guide. Some of those "piles of rocks" are very interesting if you have someone that knows their story telling you about them. Important safety tip, Tulum is free on Sunday. Like many have said, it's about an hour S of Playa.

Take Christi or Shark's advice about going to Chichen Itza. I once took an early Ferry, grabbed a "rent a racer" and drove to Chichen Itza. Spent about 2-3 hours at the site and drove back in the same day. That nite, my tongue was hangin down below my feet.

By all means, go to Chichen Itza tho. it's awesome with the huge sacrificial Cenote, the huge Castillo, the ball court and all the other ruins. There are really cool statues, heads, and other things just laying on the ground. It's an inspiring place.

There's another fun thing to do. On the way back from Tulum there are little gravel driveways on your right. Some have signs saying "lunch", "cerveza" or something. go down these roads. All of 'em have a cenote you can snorkel or just swim in. they all have great lunches and usually a great crowd of friendly people. most of the people that hang at these are divers on their off day, or hiker/backpackers blowing off a little steam. We call these places "Cenote bars". In the old days Xel ha & Excaret were Cenote bars. now the tourists and pod people go their and trhe cool kids hang at these Cenote places.

There is another place that we go to that I haven't seen discussed. there is a pyramid at a town called Coba a little S of tulum. There's just a few people that go there and it gives you a look at a castillo that hasn't been cleared off yet. Then on th way back, do the Cenote bar tour.

Also do San Gervaiso on Coz. It's a small ruina, but it has it's own story to tell. go there, then head to Coconuts and the Raggae Bar.

Back
Top Bottom