Trip Report Cozumel Sept ‘22 Trip Report-Westin/Salty Endeavors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

K’ooben Laab was recommended to me also. We did not stay. We were going to try it, for the first time, a few weeks ago. It was a hot evening, and as my wife and I sat upstairs, it was just not the atmosphere we wanted for the last dinner of our trip. It was hot upstairs (we did not have reservations so possibly there are better seats), there were flies buzzing around us, and we wanted either a nice breeze or air conditioning. We called an audible and decided to go to a restaurant with which we were familiar. The staff was nice for the few short minutes we were there.

We may give it another try, another day…
Yeah, I'd definitely give it another shot. Flies are pretty annoying but I can get past them. My wife on the other hand...

4)Colores y Sabores-just a fantastic little hole in the wall just off the main street. The owner is super sweet. Wife and I shared one of the dinner’s for 2 and it was a little more than we could finish. The lime soup and cilantro margarita were also great.
I love the small places, margaritas...and cilantro but never had as a combo. Will visit this place in a couple months:)
DIVING: My wife doesn’t dive but she’s super easy going. She enjoyed sleeping in and going to the gym wile I was out. I was going to dive 3 days but ended up extending it to 4 days (8 total AM dives). As stated previously. SE picked me up all days right at the Westin dock. I was also getting my Nitrox check out dives wrapped up so they handled all of that the 1st day.
Did they have an analyzer on board?
I’m a pretty new diver, 20 total dives prior to this trip. Dives were all between 57-62 min bottom time. I’m so glad that I went out with Salty. Everything was so smooth with them. Not a hitch, not even when I left my GoPro on the boat by accident. I definitely plan on diving with them again down the road. So many sites I wasn’t able to see with only diving 4 days.
They definitely make it easy for gear by leaving everything on the boat. We forgot a camera a time ...or two as well.
-Dive Masters: Jose, Francisco & Eduardo were all great.

-Dive Captains: Victor, Chipa
Fairly sure it was Jose that had his own way to point out diver complacency can happen to any of us:wink:. Francisco and Isidro were wonderful to dive with. I had the absolute best night dive and morning dives with Francsico. Eduardo seemed always in a hurry, but it seems as he was providing you with good dives which maybe with another year under his belt he has slowed down.

We’re trying to come back next year. My kids (19, 16, 14) are itching to get certified and I think it’s about time..
Definitely about time:) My favorite dives have been with my kids.
FWIW, my favorite item on the menu at Pancho's Backyard is their cream of cilantro soup.
Another place to stop by for a cilantro fix.

I love the small places, margaritas...and cilantro but never had as a combo. Will visit this place in a couple months:)

They definitely make it easy for gear by leaving everything on the boat. We forgot a camera a time ...or two as well.

Fairly sure it was Jose that had his own way to point out diver complacency can happen to any of us:wink:. Francisco and Isidro were wonderful to dive with. I had the absolute best night dive and morning dives with Francsico. Eduardo seemed always in a hurry, but it seems as he was providing you with good dives which maybe with another year under his belt he has slowed down.

Definitely about time:) My favorite dives have been with my kids.

Another place to stop by for a cilantro fix.
Yes, we had an analyzer on board all 4 days. Eduardo was just fine. We moved along a little faster than with Jose or Francisco, but I'm fine with that. I'm so new to diving that I'm still enthralled with the big stuff (swim throughs, looking for sharks, rays, turtles, etc). It was on my last dive day (the only day I was with Eduardo) that we spotted the lone eagle ray of my trip. I had been talking about not seeing one yet and he way so excited for me that I got to see and film one.

Yes, we had an analyzer on board all 4 days.
This is very good to hear:wink:
Eduardo was just fine. We moved along a little faster than with Jose or Francisco, but I'm fine with that.
If its only moving along a bit faster to see more things, its completely fine with me. Good to hear that you enjoyed dives with him.
I'm so new to diving that I'm still enthralled with the big stuff (swim throughs, looking for sharks, rays, turtles, etc).
Who isnt! Next time ask Francsico to take you to his favorite dive site.

Yeah, I'd definitely give it another shot. Flies are pretty annoying but I can get past them. My wife on the other hand...

Kooben is my favorite pasta on the island outside the specials of Buccanos. The price is unbeatable. But I always get it delivered so I can enjoy dining in AC and bug free :)

We own 5 analyzers - one for each boat, one for the shop in the harbor, and a spare ready to go for replacement or rental boats.

@Snrubnivek That's a great trip report! I'm thinking of going with my family in January and hoping you can help answer a couple of questions as the Westin is a potential location to stay at.

1) Snorkeling: How far was the reef and was it relatively safe to get to? We have a 2 year old so we may dive 2 days while grandparents watch the little one but the rest of the days we may try snorkeling whenever the grandparents are ok with a quick 60 min babysitting

2) I'm assuming you likely didn't notice if there were any kid pools but how were the pools? My toddler likes the ocean but prefers the pool (I think it's cause usually there are other kids her age there to play with).

Thanks in advance! How much was the diving for 2 days? I have my own gear but may rent just to avoid having to take an extra bag.

Had the best “mixed drink” of my life here that was prepared tableside.
What was it? Inquiring minds want to know!!

Thanks for the list of cool places to check out. We've been to a few, but I'd never heard of a couple of them. It's nice to have someone curate a list ahead of time. Thanks for being the guinea pig!! :wink:

Thanks for a good report. I swear every review of Koobin Laab mentions good pasta but the effing flies...Gross! I think I'm going to pack a few fly strips so on my next trip I can donate and hopefuly give them a clue.

There has been a sewer leak in front of their place for years...

The fly problem kills it for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom