Cozumel restaurants, diners, and taco stands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divematt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We're going to Cozumel the first week of May and I chose a non-inclusive so that we could try many of the great restaurants, diners, and taco stands. Would you guys and gals that know your way around list some of your favorites again with the type of places that they are? Just mention "great for lunch but not fancy", or "great for dinner although a little pricey" etc. I could spend days trying to look them up here from the past. Besides, it looks like a lot of people are going soon and may benefit from you expert veteran Cozumelians! I'll do my homework on locating them unless you want to throw that in too. (hint) Thanks!

Two of my favorites: Guido's (Italian) and The French Quarter (pricey, New Orleans style). Both downtown.

Santa Carlos PESCADERIA is a great little fish place back in the neighborhoods. They sell a lot of to go orders of both cooked and fresh fish but in back are a couple tables where you can dine in. The conch ceviche is usually very fresh and a single serving at $40 pesos is an ample appetizer for a table of 6. A plate lunch with a fillet entrée is $45-$50 pesos. A whole fried fish for one starts at around $60 pesos but can go higher depending on the weight. The easiest way to get to Santa Carlos is to drive east out Calle 11 past 30 and take a left onto Ave. 50B. That will be the second Ave. 50 you come to. Santa Carlos is on the right between A.R. Salas and Calle 3. We've never had dinner here. I'm not even sure it is open at night.

Our current favorite tacqueria is El Serra located on Ave 30 not too far (and across the street) from Ace Hardware. The Tacos al Pastor con piña (grilled marinated pork with a slice of pineapple) at about 40 cents each and frijoles charos (bean soup) are both excellent. Four to six tacos and a bowl of soup make a good meal for $3-$4. Like most taacquerias, this place is only open at night.

I've got a bunch more places listed at: http://www.mxtravel.com/cozumel/cozumel_restaurants.html

Here is the best guide I have found to restraunts in Coz:

http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com/Pages/Restaurants.htm

My personal favorites are La Choza, Cafe Denis and Ernesto's Fajita Factory. Don't let the name fool you on the last, it's not some kind of rubber stamp Tex-Mex place.

James

P.S. No offense randyjoy, but when I'm in a country I prefer to eat local dishes. I just don't understand people who go to Mexico and eat Italian and Cajun....

I'll second Guido's... definitely my fave for dinner down there. Never ate anything off of the regular menu, always ordered one of their "specials". The best damn seafood I've ever eaten! North of the square on the main Drag (Melgar) up by Los Cinco Soles & the museum. A little pricey but so worth it!

Casa Dennis is great for lunch (Mmmmm... Mayan Pork Tacos :inlove: ) Cheap!

James Goddard:
No offense randyjoy, but when I'm in a country I prefer to eat local dishes. I just don't understand people who go to Mexico and eat Italian and Cajun....

No offense taken - we joke about it quite a bit, actually. One trip we managed to eat all "non-local" dishes, but oddly enough, you see a lot of locals in some of the "non-local" cafes.

I live in north Texas, but I'm in a rural county with a large hispanic population. One of my favorite "hole in the wall" restaurants is owned by a family whose parents live in Coz. That's where I get the "local" dishes - locally!

James Goddard:
Here is the best guide I have found to restraunts in Coz:

http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com/Pages/Restaurants.htm

My personal favorites are La Choza, Cafe Denis and Ernesto's Fajita Factory. Don't let the name fool you on the last, it's not some kind of rubber stamp Tex-Mex place.

James

P.S. No offense randyjoy, but when I'm in a country I prefer to eat local dishes. I just don't understand people who go to Mexico and eat Italian and Cajun....

Heh, flew all the way to Thailand to see my wife last year. First thing she wants to do is go out for some Japanese food. Go figure.

Back
Top Bottom