Cozumel or Mahahaul? Diving, Hotel, Things to do?? Thanks!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wasn’t familiar with this destination.Your post prompted me to do some quick research.
Mahahaul is the gateway to Banco Chinchorro to the South. Apparently there’s one 3-hour bus to Mahahaul daily from Tulum,or you could rent a car in Playa and do the 105 mile drive yourself. No idea what’s available for hotels, dive ops or tourist infrastructure once you finally get there. As for “things to do”, the area looks pretty undeveloped from what I can see on Google Maps. After all this effort, I hope the experience is well worth it. I’ll be interested in comments from folks that have recently been there…

Literally a 100:1 difference across the board in every category

Can you elaborate?? 😁😁
100 dive ops in Cozumel for each dive shop in Mahahaul
100 hotels for each hotel
100 restaurants etc.

At certain times of the year, Mahahual is likely to be overrun by sargassum - and those times of the year look like they will be “most of it” for 2023.

They're both cruise ship ports. Cozumel would be well-known to the dive community if it weren't for cruise ships; cruise ships are the only reason I know of Costa Maya (the region you're talking about). Many years ago I did 2 dives there on a cruise stop; enjoyed it, saw a big black grouper, and I don't recall any significant current, so it seems to be a different kind of diving than Cozumel (which is known for drift diving), but I only got 2 dives that one day, so read up on it before taking that for fact.

You'll find on ScubaBoard Cozumel is VERY popular as a dive destination; try finding a week long trip report for Costa Maya/Mahahual, or any dive report that isn't from someone who stopped there on a cruise ship visit. If you find some good ones, please link them to this thread; I like to see new 'up and coming' dive destinations.

My Research Notes from Planning Cozumel Trip - My Research Notes from Planning Cozumel Trip

Since both places are cruise ship stops, they'll have topside excursion options. Many people on SB like to eat out at various places on Cozumel, which has a rep. for good food at good prices.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom