Cozumel..Need Suggestions Please!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You live in Iowa not Arizona. 3 inches of snow will not stop you from getting to the airport. You can make your connection in 30 minutes. I suggest if you have your own gear. Pack your goggles, BC, regulator and wetsuit(if you want) in your carry on. Take a deep breath and relax. Freaking out will not change the outcome. I used to stress about everything. And by the time I got to our destination I needed a 12 pack of beer to make me right.

3 inches of snow at 4-5 a.m. might though... If our flight was at noon it wouldn't be an issue.
We don't have gate checked bags (only backpack, anything bigger has to be checked which slows down the connection), so I hope you are right about the connection. Masks and computers are in carry on. Fins and wetsuits in checked bags- wish I could carry on the fins, but they won't fit :( Guess we could always buy new ones if they don't show up. Regs/BC will be rentals, so we are good there.

I think ice or fog is the bigger issue in shutting down the airport- but I'm still really worried!

Skittle, I am assuming that you are taking Delta out of Des Moines. If true, then there is another Delta flight to Atlanta at 1135 AM then 445 PM

Currently 14 seats on the 1135 AM flight to Atlanta. The 445 PM flight probably means next day arrival in Cozumel.

The Delta 537 PM Atlanta flight to Cancun arrives in Cancun at 739 PM. Currently about 19 seats available. You have a reasonable chance of making the 1000 PM ferry to Cozumel. If you have never taken that route there is useful info here:

www.tinyurl.com/7m3r6

I would also consider knowing your options on American through DFW. American has DFW to Cozumel flights at 1045 AM and 450 PM. Seat availability not checked.

DFW to Cancun flights at 905 AM, 1105 AM, 125 PM, 225 PM and 515 PM.

Des Moines to DFW flights on American at 610 AM, 935 AM, 1140 AM, 215 PM and 600 PM.

Verify all my times.

Perhaps there are different meanings of "provide transportation". Putting a customer in a taxi works for everyone. Any other method will end in grief, most likely exactly as cvchief describes.

The only transportation that hotels or other businesses are allowed to provide is to employees, which some businesses are required to do. Anything else will attract the attention and intervention of the taxistas.

Are you flying out of Des Moines?

No, we fly out of CID. Des Moines is about 120 miles from me, so we only use it when there is no way of going out of the Eastern Iowa Airport or the Moline, Illinois airport (which I won't do in the winter, because the Mississippi River bridge is terrifying).

(But thank you to Ron Lee for the alternate flight ideas- has DFW cleared up? That might open some options if we need them... I did look up ferry times just in case.)

I forgot about the DFW problem. There are a few cancellations today but trivial compared to this past weekend. I would assume that it will be better tomorrow.

Today the American 1105 AM flight to Cancun was cancelled.

I use flightstats.com for a quick overview.

I do not see a 300 PM CID to ATL flight on Delta. I do see one at 1234 PM.

I do not see a 300 PM CID to ATL flight on Delta. I do see one at 1234 PM.

Maybe I got the time wrong- I just new it was later in the day. 12:34 probably gives us a better shot of getting some sort of connecting flight, so that's a good thing.

I guess I'm just holding out hope we'll get there :) If not, vacation gets cut by a day, and I'm sure we'll get out the next day. We almost always fly through Dallas (because my sister lives there, so I figure if we get stuck we can go visit) but I'm really glad we didn't this trip- that would give me even more to worry about!

Skittl, yesterday four of five DFW to CUN flights on American were cancelled.

So far today, only one has been cancelled. Three have landed or are en route and the fifth is still scheduled. So it appears that DFW has largely gotten back to normal and I would not hesitate to use it as a backup if your ATL options do not work.

If you have to go through Cancun, once you get to Playa del Carmen and you are trying to make the 1000 PM ferry, I suggest hiring one of the tricyclo baggage handling guys to help you get to the ferry. If you look at the following website tonight at 1000 PM Central time, you will note that the ferry typically leaves close to ten minutes after the hour.

Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo - Webcams de México

Try to sit near the front of the plane to get through customs/immigration faster and have a couple of pens. Be sure to fill out the forms completely.

The latest ADO bus from the airport leaves at 845 PM. It would be close but the tricyclo guy outside the bus terminal could be the difference between making the ferry and not.

Odds are you will make it. You have two hours to make your flight in Atlanta. Heed the advice to have essentials in a carry-on in case your checked luggage is delayed.

Last edited:
By the way, every airline that accepts checked luggage is responsible for getting your bags there when you arrive, and if they don't - they are responsible for whatever you need to rent or buy, subject to lower limits of international flights. Keep receipts and file claims. If a bag is 24 hours getting to your hotel or more - shopping spree! Hope you have a digital scale to weight your bags, especially on return. If you only have one checked, the second bag is not too expensive - but overweight it!

The latest ADO bus from the airport leaves at 845 PM. It would be close but the tricyclo guy outside the bus terminal could be the difference between making the ferry and not.

If it comes to this, it'll be like being on the Amazing Race! But, being stuck in PdC is certainly preferable to being stuck anywhere in the states. I would assume some hotel will have a vacancy.

I'm getting really excited about being in Cozumel. I have a swimsuit and a mask in the carry on, so luggage or not, I'm vacation ready.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom