Cozumel Incident 9/4/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) CNS has nothing to do with it. Maybe you meant DCS?

2)Getting back in the water to do missed deco stops if you HAVE NO SYMPTOMS seems a reasonable option. IF you have tons of gas and IF you know what you are doing.

1) CNS has everything to do with it. Decompression symptoms in the knee don't cause cognitive problems. Decompression symptoms in the central nervous system include confusion. We know that at least one of the divers has life-threatening CNS symptoms, so this seems quite plausible to me.

Perhaps you were confused by my use of CNS to refer to the central nervous system? It's an occupational hazard that people in my line of work use abbreviations and assume that others know what they mean. In this case, though, I think that the only reasonable interpretation of "CNS" followed by the word "symptoms" is that it refers to the central nervous system.

2) This is somewhat controversial at best. You're referring to making up a missed stop. In the scenario we've been given, of a 300 fsw dive with divers running out of air at depth and only making it to the surface by buddy-breathing, I really truly think the most obvious course of action would be to head straight to a chamber even in the absence of symptoms.

1) CNS has everything to do with it. Decompression symptoms in the knee don't cause cognitive problems. Decompression symptoms in the central nervous system include confusion. We know that at least one of the divers has life-threatening CNS symptoms, so this seems quite plausible to me.

Perhaps you were confused by my use of CNS to refer to the central nervous system? It's an occupational hazard that people in my line of work use abbreviations and assume that others know what they mean. In this case, though, I think that the only reasonable interpretation of "CNS" followed by the word "symptoms" is that it refers to the central nervous system.

2) This is somewhat controversial at best. You're referring to making up a missed stop. In the scenario we've been given, of a 300 fsw dive with divers running out of air at depth and only making it to the surface by buddy-breathing, I really truly think the most obvious course of action would be to head straight to a chamber even in the absence of symptoms.

1) Suspect we are using different terminology here. To me "CNS symptoms" when referring to diving implies O2 toxicity/seizures due to exceeding O2 CNS % limits. Your "CNS Symptoms" is probably my "Type 2 DCS"

2)Agree with this being controversial and is VERY situation dependent. If I was looking at 30 minutes O2 deco and popped to the surface for whatever reason. (Stuck inflator,bring up unconscious buddy,whatever) I'm going back down to 20 feet ASAP rather than getting on the phone to DAN.
In the Cozumel incident getting on O2 and heading for the chamber would most likely have been the better choice. Suspect the boat did not have O2 for 3 stricken divers?
Doing a CESA from 300 feet and waiting for the symptoms to hit must be a nightmare. Really there are no good choices at that point.

I see someone asked awhile back what number dive of the day that was?
If anyone knows or could find out......also......
What is the exact level of expertise of the divers involved?
Did they all have computers? Obviously there were great variations in depth involved.
One diver that has insurance will they insist on a computer printout for investigation if he had a computer?
What is the depth at that wall? Presumably it hits over 3000 feet in that channel if I remember right but does the wall slope out or straight down?

When I was young my friends and I would light firecrackers and hold on to them as the wick burned. At the last second we would throw the firecracker, hopefully before it blew up. At the time we misunderstood this to be a demonstration of bravery.

I am glad that I grew out of that phase. Some, it seems, do not.

Reactions: Jax
I see someone asked awhile back what number dive of the day that was?

One diver that has insurance will they insist on a computer printout for investigation if he had a computer?

Anyone doing this as a second dive of the day would be totally insane but I suppose anythings possible.

Know 2 people that have had chamber rides. Neither was asked for their computer.
If DAN or anyone ever started denying coverage due to bad decisions that's a really slippery slope. Start feeling bad after diving beyond your cert level? First thing I'm going to do is toss my computers over the side.

Anyone doing this as a second dive of the day would be totally insane but I suppose anythings possible.

Know 2 people that have had chamber rides. Neither was asked for their computer.
If DAN or anyone ever started denying coverage due to bad decisions that's a really slippery slope. Start feeling bad after diving beyond your cert level? First thing I'm going to do is toss my computers over the side.

I thought someone posted way back somewhere about coverage being denied for diving outside of limits I will see if I can find it but that's one reason why I was asking.

1) ... If I was looking at 30 minutes O2 deco and popped to the surface for whatever reason. (Stuck inflator,bring up unconscious buddy,whatever) I'm going back down to 20 feet ASAP rather than getting on the phone to DAN.
I believe you forgot to mention, that you “popped out” from 20 ft, not from 200 ft. Not that it is wise to breath o2 below 30 ft, but…

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

I removed several posts, and most of you know why. Please keep your posts, civil, polite and informative.

I believed this forum permited freedom of speech, I was wrong, but it is very important to inform the people how dangerous is to dive under 40 m with air, Please don't do it any more.

I thought someone posted way back somewhere about coverage being denied for diving outside of limits I will see if I can find it but that's one reason why I was asking.

The standard plan is the one with a limit of 130' / 40m. The Master & Preferred plans have no depth limit specified. I have the preferred plan just to max out coverage. I won't dive without being insured. Not because I'm a risk taker.. Just because should I take a hit period, I don't want to be without. It's a small price to pay considering it's about the price of two or three boat dives in most places for their top rated one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom