Cozumel Incident 9/4/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i love how the same people come and speculate in all these accident forms like geeze we dont learn anything from speculation! And again as much as I got **** all over in the last argument i posted. . . sometimes stupid is stupid, sometimes divers **** up, and sometimes **** just happens!!!!

Thanks coldwatercanada for your constructive and eloquent contribution to the thread

Almost exactly my points, thanks. I do think it's relevant because dive planning requires a foundation for decision making and this is the most readily available and reliable via internet search, which is how most is done in Coz

Searching the internet for deep air profiles is a great way to get bent or dead. Your post seemed to imply that if they had followed the NAVSEA schedule you quoted then they would have been ok. They wouldn't

I don't think any recreational dive computer can handle such a profile without returning an error. Yes or no?

Generally speaking computers, recreational or otherwise, don't give you an error until after the dive

Another thing I wonder is how much light is down there at 400' and whether they brought lights with them. If not, how to locate someone at 400' assuming it's probably pretty dark?

Assuming sunny conditions above and reasonable viz, there's no need for lights

Irrespective of the dive itself, Gabi deserves major props for risking his life to rescue his friend. I have to wonder if his acclimation as a divemaster allowed him to make such a daring rescue of Opal without sustaining an even more serious injury to himself than he has?

Sorry, I can't really separate the rescue from the bad judgement that led up to the need to do a rescue in the first place.

Similar kind of thing happened around here but the rescuer died after getting a couple off the bottom and saving them. Heroic, but it shouldn't have happened in the first place.

I have been searching thru all this to see if the name of the reef was ever mentioned. Talked to a friend of mine yesterday about this. Both he and I have 100's of dives in Coz. Does anyone know what reef this occurred on.

Agreed. I have been really upset over this whole issue. The degree of bad judgment, unprofessional behavior, poor dive practices in general, and now what seem to be patterns of such behavior among these and others is very distressing. It is distressing to me in that huge resources have had to be committed to taking care of the aftermath of this event. Resources that might have been needed elsewhere should a real "accident" have occurred. This was reckless and irresponsible behavior for no good reason. It was no accident. These events were set in motion with purposeful thought as to the beginning but with no regard for the outcome. You don't plan safe dives in this manner.

True professionals with all we know about the risks of deep dives in general, let alone the stupid practice of bounce dives for ego building and bragging rights, do not engage in this type of behavior. I sincerely hope they recover. I also hope that the full story comes out in clear detail so that others can learn to avoid this type of behavior. And it is also my belief that any individuals that engage in this type of diving be held up as examples as to what reckless, unprofessional, risky, and stupid behavior looks like. And that people who exhibit this degree of recklessness be avoided. I certainly would never let my kids dive with them. Even if they came thru unscathed, just thinking that they found the risks of doing this acceptable would throw up red flags for any interaction in the water with them.

I don't understand any one who thinks that setting one's self up to be seriously hurt and risk others lives in the process. And when that happens to expect society to foot the bill for whatever happens.

Sorry, I can't really separate the rescue from the bad judgement that led up to the need to do a rescue in the first place.

Similar kind of thing happened around here but the rescuer died after getting a couple off the bottom and saving them. Heroic, but it shouldn't have happened in the first place.

I don't disagree and that is why I opened with "irrespective of the dive itself". Still, he didn't abandon his friend and I give him credit for that.

Any comment as to the second part of my post?

Reactions: Jax
It is very bright down there, at least at 249--just VERY black and white with great viz.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

I have been searching thru all this to see if the name of the reef was ever mentioned. Talked to a friend of mine yesterday about this. Both he and I have 100's of dives in Coz. Does anyone know what reef this occurred on.

The dive was at Villa Blanca Wall, right in front of their shop.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom