Cozumel in January/February

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

genemoren

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Thinking about going to Cozumel after the first of the year. What's the diving(water temp, viz, surface) like in January and February?
Thanks

Thinking about going to Cozumel after the first of the year. What's the diving(water temp, viz, surface) like in January and February?
Thanks

Hi!

January is one of our favorite months on-island. Normally, the water temp is around 77-80 deg F. Back in our youth, we dove with fleece. Then as the teeth got longer, we switched to 3mm. Now we dive with 5mm. And that is very comfortable for us.

The viz is usually not an issue off Cozumel at any time...except, maybe, after a rain. We always expect to see forever! If you are a photographer, you will be happy about the lack of backscatter--unless you are laying on the sand taking a picture of a sleepy Nurse Shark or a Splendid Toadfish.

Air Temp--hey, this is the tropics: we always wear shorts, short sleeve shirts, and sandals...always!

joewr...fun loving, but, deepdown a capitalist...well, not so deepdown...in fact, capitalism is my surface interval...

I spend time on the island during Feb. Joewr right about the water and vis. My tip would be to bring a dive coat to put on between dives. The air can be a colder than the water. My fleece lined coat keeps me warm between dives. Carnival is in Feb this year, not sure of the dates but it is a fun time to be in town to see the parades and festivities.

I spend time on the island during Feb. Joewr right about the water and vis. My tip would be to bring a dive coat to put on between dives. The air can be a colder than the water. My fleece lined coat keeps me warm between dives. Carnival is in Feb this year, not sure of the dates but it is a fun time to be in town to see the parades and festivities.

Good Call, Judy!

We have been bringing waterproof coats on December/January dives and don them on the ride back. You may discover some very envious eyes cast upon you when you do that...especially if the boat ride is a long one!:)

joewr...warm days...warm nights...warm water...warm people...Cozumel is all that and more...and this space is still available for lease...

Looks like we'll be headed down in Feb again this next year too! So when IS Carnival? Anyone...? Yeah, I'm lazy, I'll just check back here later instead of looking it up. lol Besides, I need to go look for a jacket...I almost cracked a tooth (chattering) last year. Any advice on what works/packs best? Just when I get my summer trip packing down to a science, life throws me winter trips. Life is so rough, right? LOL

Looks like we'll be headed down in Feb again this next year too! So when IS Carnival? Anyone...? Yeah, I'm lazy, I'll just check back here later instead of looking it up. lol Besides, I need to go look for a jacket...I almost cracked a tooth (chattering) last year. Any advice on what works/packs best? Just when I get my summer trip packing down to a science, life throws me winter trips. Life is so rough, right? LOL

Hi,

The jackets we use are made by Columbia and are fabricated from nylon with polyester waterproofing. And they have hoods, something you might appreciate on that windy ride back to the dock. Oh, yes, they compress into a small space and should not interfer too much with your current packing system...

Our method of use is to keep our wetsuits on and slip on the jackets on the trip back. Just before we are ready to dock, we take off the jackets and wetsuits...and try to time it so we do not hold up other divers or the DM/boat driver. We've seen some folks who strip off the tops of their wetsuits and put on a sorta fleecy jacket, but we have no personal experience with that system.

One thing nice about the Columbia jackets is that you can toss them in the washing machine using the delicate cycle with cold water and Woolite. Then you hang them to dry indoors: Lo and Behold, they are clean!

joewr...trying to remember how many cold trips back to the dock it took before we brought jackets...not many!

My dive coat waterproof nylon and fleece lined and is long, down to my knees. It's fairly heavy. Google "dive coat" and take a look. I purchased mine on ebay! I always take my wetsuit off between dives and put the coat on. For my 2nd dive I put a fresh dry wetsuit on, I find it the best way for me (i am a bit of a whimp)keep warm. I add a beanie as well in the winter month.

Fresh, dry wetsuit?! Long, fleece-lined, coat? Now, THAT'S doing it right girlfriend! I think I'll just have to covet your superior diving style this trip :wink: as it will be a short one for me. I only get 3 days on Coz as most of my trip will be spent over on the mainland. I suppose I'll just have to suck it up with a jacket and a beanie... life is just so hard.

Way to go Judy !! You are so right that those surface intervals are miserable if one is not dressed right. The reason for taking off the wetsuit, as you do, is to prevent the loss of body temperature.
I like a hood also. It does prevent thermal transfer from body to water.
Nice suggestions. I never thought to bring a separate wetsuit!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom