Unknown Cozumel: Horrible dive accident...

This Thread Prefix is for incidents when the cause is not known.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found my son dead on the bathroom floor. The lividity indicated that there would be no need to try and revive him. The medicos agreed with my decision.

None of us were there. I'm not going to second guess their decisions one way or the other. To whit, they've probably seen more diver deaths than most on this board. They are innocent until proven guilty.
My deeppest feelings for your loss, couldn't even imagine your pain!
As a medicine Professional, i do agree with your statement, and i must admit that a Basic life support course i did recently, even being a oncological surgeon with hyperbaric training and diving medicine too, just confirmed: better tô have a real experienced and trained paramedic on site than the best inhospital doctor around when sh#t hit the fan!
Not meaning to offending other MD's around, just a humble observation

To be clear, we were 20 ft from the body...arms extended outward FACE DOWN, BC at least partially inflated & tank exposed.
The speculation & negative vibe of many replies is just not what I expected from this post. We (the four of us on our boat) simply were hoping for news details.
Our boat also stopped to help before the police arrived. I totally confirm what you saw. So sad. We had a couple of first responders on board and it was hard for them not to engage. Glad to see the news article about an investigation- I hope the figure out what happened as best they can..

I found my son dead on the bathroom floor. The lividity indicated that there would be no need to try and revive him. The medicos agreed with my decision.

None of us were there. I'm not going to second guess their decisions one way or the other. To whit, they've probably seen more diver deaths than most on this board. They are innocent until proven guilty.

I am sorry to hear of this loss of your son.

Seems very odd they’ve been able to identify her name, age, and hotel, but not who she was diving with. You would think it’s a rental tank with a marking of a dive shop. And the idea of it being physically possible for a 77 year old lady to haul a tank and gear to do a shore dive by themselves seems like a stretch, or at least an alarming scenario.

Seems very odd they’ve been able to identify her name, age, and hotel, but not who she was diving with. You would think it’s a rental tank with a marking of a dive shop. And the idea of it being physically possible for a 77 year old lady to haul a tank and gear to do a shore dive by themselves seems like a stretch, or at least an alarming scenario.
A 77 year old in shape likely has no issues with shore diving. I ski and mountain bike with numerous people in mid 70s to mid 80’s, at times hard to keep up:) likely an investigation going on so limited details.

I'm really glad the new article confirmed the color of the tank. What would we do without that information? :facepalm:

I can confirm that folks in their mid to late 70's do still shore dive, even in cold water. And one or two were still teaching classes into their mid-70's.

I'm really glad the new article confirmed the color of the tank. What would we do without that information?
I assumed that was in an attempted to identify the tank's source.
I can confirm that folks in their mid to late 70's do still shore dive, even in cold water.
Claims for life average expectancy for white males vary with sources today from 73 years to 83 and I don't know who to believe. I've known divers older than I am, today 76, but very few. Last summer at 75 I was debating scuba retirement when I was hit by a series of problems that kept me hospitalized for three months and even today after extensive healing and therapy I wouldn't put a tank on my back - certainly not with enough lead to dive my 7 mil suit. Some Sexagenarians are tougher than others but I'd suggest limited expectations. One fellow I knew who was older than I but seemed tougher than I am dropped dead last month.

Just chiming in for what it's worth, because while I feel it's responsible to call out people for bad behavior or actions, I find it equally responsible to defend people when they do the right thing, which is what I think they did in Coz. I'm a recently retired homicide detective who has been to A LOT of death scenes. Not only do we encourage people to not disturb people/scenes where people are "obviously deceased", we train others to do the very thing they did in MX. No "touchy", no sheets, no nothing!

Think of it this way....if that person is obviously dead would you rather they render "life saving" measures to them knowing they are hopelessly dead so everyone feels better about it? Or would you rather them do nothing to the scene/body, and leave at least a glimmer of hope that by not disturbing them, and if they were the victim of a crime, we'd have a chance at solving it without you destroying evidence? Or at the very least, preserve the scene so we can learn from it if there is learning to be done.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom