Cozumel Diving Oct 30 - Nov 1 2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ColoDale

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
3 days Cozumel diving Oct 31- Nov 2.

I had a friends come into town but since their group was large there wasn't space on the 2 boats for a full week so I only got in 3 days. The second to the last day the north winds picked up and there were rougher seas. The port closed while we were under on the second dive of Nov 1 at noon.

The last two days there was a lot of green water and poor visibility especially around San Francisco and to the north to Tormentos. We tried diving Tormentos the last two days but the vis was not good so we dove others. One day we dropped in between Yucab and Tormentos hoping we could go north but ended up going south. I bit strange looking under ledges in the opposite direction.

The currents on the 31st switched directions at many sites but was mild. Cedral wall and Francesa were normal south to north.

There was quite alot of fresh water coming into the ocean so spots of cold water. We have had alot of rainstorms, tropical storms and hurricanes lately so alot of drainage from the island causing haloclines and lots of green water in many places. We ended up doing Chankanaab Bolones once since the vis was better there than others.

There were quite alot of boats out so we avoided places like the Palancars and for at least the days I dove with the group, we dove mostly from Francesa north.

I had good fills and no bad orings this trip but others had bad orings which were replaced on the boat.

Water temps were consistently 83-84 F but the last day they cooled off a few degrees.

I have noticed this year quite alot more free swimming green morays and large black groupers. We did see an eagle ray in the distance on the day dive during our stop. Most dives were long and not deep and I managed to stay out of deco (within a minute on a few dives). We again dove with Bottomtimedivers.net and Raul as usual. All dives 60 to 78 minutes.

We found quite a few juvenile drums, some high hats, a juvenile scorpionfish, a blue anemone shrimp which most I've seen are brown which I thought was a pederson shrimp at first, tons of lobsters, nurse sharks coming close smelling lionfish and the usual suspects.

It is currently raining with north winds and port is closed. Hurricane Eta is trying to avoid us but it might come back out to sea after landfall by models. We shall see. It is getting a bit tiresome. One of the group said they came in the afternoon before Zeta and took two fly arounds to land. I'll bet they got the turnaround flight loaded quickly.

Parking is still a problem at the marina. No one I know can tell me when they will get it resolved.

Several of the group got in some night dives earlier in the week before the visibility went down.

Love and appreciate hearing about your dives and current conditions happening on the island. Enjoy living the island life! Hope Eta stays far, far away from Cozumel!

No photos this trip. I did not know what days I would be diving, bad vis and with weather port closures, camera setp was a hassle. We did see stumpy the hawksbill turtle who looks healthy.

Back
Top Bottom