Trip Report Cozumel diving and photos week of 24 Oct

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last and hopefully not least. On the boat, after our first dive this weekend, we noticed something floating in the water. From afar it looked like a fish but Raul grabbed it and pulled it into the boat. It's tail had been bitten off and it had alot of what look like teeth marks on it. It seems to have been in the water for a day or two (or three) and the missing tail part still looked red/fresh (not shown well in photo). It's eyes are milky so it's been in the water for a bit.

We think it's a conger eel. From my knowledge, these are found primarily in Mexico in the gulf. The currents are all wrong for it to make it's way south around the Yucatan peninsula. The winds that day were blowing West to East.

So it has to come from around here (mainland or Cozumel side). I have never seen one while diving on the Cozumel side.

IMG-20211031-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20211031-WA0001.jpg

Last and hopefully not least. On the boat, after our first dive this weekend, we noticed something floating in the water. From afar it looked like a fish but Raul grabbed it and pulled it into the boat. It's tail had been bitten off and it had alot of what look like teeth marks on it. It seems to have been in the water for a day or two (or three) and the missing tail part still looked red/fresh (not shown well in photo). It's eyes are milky so it's been in the water for a bit.

We think it's a conger eel. From my knowledge, these are found primarily in Mexico in the gulf. The currents are all wrong for it to make it's way south around the Yucatan peninsula. The winds that day were blowing West to East.

So it has to come from around here (mainland or Cozumel side). I have never seen one while diving on the Cozumel side.

View attachment 689491

View attachment 689492
I don't think it's a conger eel. Conger eels (what I know as conger eels, anyway) are actually air breathing salamanders with vestigial legs and no dorsal fin, and as far as I know they don't live around salt water. We used to find them in marshy areas in Louisiana.

I don't think it's a conger eel. Conger eels (what I know as conger eels, anyway) are actually air breathing salamanders with vestigial legs and no dorsal fin, and as far as I know they don't live around salt water. We used to find them in marshy areas in Louisiana.
That's another use of the common name. See the Wikipedia article for conger eels; they are eels. But the amphiuma is an amphibian sometimes called a conger eel (Wikipedia article).

We think it's this one - Shorefishes - The Fishes - Species. From Smithsonian site.

I suppose it's possible that this is some sort of freshwater eel (still calling it eel) that came from inland sources and washed out to sea. I have not done any research on whether there are freshwater eels near/in Mexico.
Though it appeared to have been in the water awhile it was not rotten and mush so fairly freshly killed (or died recently). When it was bitten (tail) I cannot say - before or after death - but the tail was cleanly bitten off.

Some photos and info of the first few days of diving starting on 24 Oct.

Weather has been hot and we have had isolated rain.
Water temps are about 84-85F. With rains there is some fresh water coming in lowering temps.
Visibility is 100+ mostly. Current has been slow and all North to South.

All Palancar and San Francisco sites are closed due to closure rotation.
Many divers here right now and it seems everyone starts on one of the Palancars.
The stone pier on Palancar beach partially collapsed and there is a sign saying not to tie off on it.

Parking is still a pain at the marina (Fonatur).

We have seen many Goldentail Moray Eels and some freeswimming. I have not seen one Brown Spotted Moray Eel. The Green Moray Eels are in the usual spots.
There are quite a few Hawksbill Turtles and a few Greens.
We have seen quite a few Nurse sharks - cruising and sleeping.

There are at least one school (shivers - cool word) of small reef sharks - about 8-9 in number. We have seen them consistently on Palancar Caves but also on Cedral wall. I cannot say if they are the same ones. The are generally deep (90 to 130+ fsw) and out to the channel. They were too far away for photos and they do not let anyone approach closely.

We have seen very large Black Groupers but not alot of mid size ones.
Lot's of drums from juvenile through adult.

The coast right now is infested with little black nymph/midge bugs. They don't bite and die daily. About a month ago we had the same for about a week then they disappeared. Must be just the right conditions. I believe it is hotter and definitely wetter now than in September.

The port is closed today for a short norte. I will be diving a few more days and will have other friends coming to dive in a couple of weeks.

More cruise ships coming in. The new(er) Virgin ship is painted matte gray.

Barracuda that let me get close
View attachment 688877

Barred Hamlet but has a squared tail
View attachment 688878

Bicolor Damselfish
View attachment 688879

Channel Crab
View attachment 688880

Fish School on Cedral Pass
View attachment 688881

Flamingo Tongues. One with a decorator crab.
View attachment 688882

View attachment 688888

Four Eye Butterflyfish. Got one looking at the camera.
View attachment 688884

French Angelfish
View attachment 688885

Goldentail Moray Eel
View attachment 688886

More to Follow (10 attachment limit)
Nice photos.

This is a conger eel. Fairly common in Hawaii but difficult to spot. I saw them hunting only at night.

Back
Top Bottom