Cozumel-Diver lost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very sorry to hear of this, not good to say the least.
Have made the dive several times. For us max was 137 ft.
Been to the Coz nine times counting this past Christmas and New Years.
Heard about it while there, anything more is rumor, gossip, or speculation.
The most important thing to remember, someone lost a life, perhaps needlessly?

The most important thing to remember, someone lost a life, perhaps needlessly?

It is a shame but we all have a chance to learn from this unfortunate occurance. It would help to find out if indeed the person dove Devil's T or not and some general details of the accident. This could be a valuable learning tool for divers on teh Board, if handled in a dignified, respectful way.

Wouldn't it be more helpful to know how she died; the immediate cause and the circumstances?

Granted Devils Throat is an advanced dive, but there are many advanced dives in this world. I don't think simply being an advanced dive was the cause. It might have been inexperience, but then that rears it's ulgy head all over the world, not just at Devils Throat.

It would be interesting to know if it was OOA, AGE, some other medical condition unrelated to diving, painic, etc. that caused this unfortunate circumstance. Then, we can look at what could be done differently so it won't happen (at least lower our probability of it happening) again.

I really don't think that banning all Asian (if indeed she was) women (if indeed she was) from Devils Throat (if indeed that's where this happened) is the answer.

I really don't think that banning all Asian (if indeed she was) women (if indeed she was) from Devils Throat (if indeed that's where this happened) is the answer.

She was a 40 year old Asian woman. It's generally accepted based on local reports that she was diving at the Throat, but I'd not say that is 100% confirmed. I have posted all the facts I know in previous posts.

No one is discussing banning Asia woman from Devils Throat that I'm aware of.

This thread is dead as we don't have more facts. The papers are silent, Coz DiveOps that are generally very vocal about other topics... silent. There maybe an ongoing investigation that would explain the lack of info. Maybe the Coz port authority, and local officials have silenced this because they don't want bad publicity.

In any event, I suggest we move on to other topics on SB unless someone has some NEW FACTS to share. There is just not enough known to justify really any discussion other than hypothetical. For that I'd suggest a new thread if folks want to discuss what if scenarios on the Throat.

I really don't think that banning all Asian (if indeed she was) women (if indeed she was) from Devils Throat (if indeed that's where this happened) is the answer.[/QUOTE]

Who made this statement? I dont recall reading it on any of the threads and websites I've been following.I find it difficult to believe that anyone would say something so stupid.

And, I agree with you Pilot Fish that it would be helpful to know exactly what happened to this diver. It could have been as simple as a new regulator that failed. I suspect though that it was a combination of things that led up to this very tragic incident.

I’m sorry I was off base on my previous post. It just seemed to me that most of the discussion in this thread involved her being a woman, Japanese, possibly from a cruise ship (and therefore a poor diver), diving Devils Throat (an advanced site) and how bad the Cozumel DM can be (now split off to another thread). I was being sarcastic. I just didn’t think any of those facts bear much on specifically why the diver went missing. I thought other facts might be more pertinent to understanding the circumstance leading to this tragedy, but I guess those won’t be coming.

I am kind of new to Scuba Board (just a little over a year) and I’m still learning what things are appropriate for discussion, what are not, the politics and when the horse is dead. :deadhorse:

I am kind of new to Scuba Board (just a little over a year) and I’m still learning what things are appropriate for discussion, what are not, the politics and when the horse is dead. :deadhorse:

No Harm, No Foul.

My first trip to Cozumel was in August of 1993. Two months earlier, in June, a woman diver went missing. Apparently, she was with a group of about 6 to 8 divers that went on a night dive at Santa Rosa Wall. Info. was very hard to come by then too. We know that she was found floating and thus recovered a few days later. We know that she was from the Dallas area. But, it is now over 14 years later and we or I still dont know what happened on that dive. Were they actually on Santa Rosa Wall and if so, who was it that decided this was a good idea to be diving that deep on a night dive at a location that is known for having tricky up and down currents.

I think it is important to know what happens when dives go wrong and I would hate to see the facts of this latest tragedy at Devils Throat kept hidden from the diving community.

As long as "quietly swept under the rug" is percieved as less damaging than the truth to those controlling the information, then there is little reason for the truth to ever become public. This may just be another one like the CoCo View deaths a number of years ago. (I've heard rumor of bad gas provided by another dive op but never any official results.) I'd rather rattle the cage now and then so there is some motivation for the truth to come out.

As long as "quietly swept under the rug" is percieved as less damaging than the truth to those controlling the information, then there is little reason for the truth to ever become public. This may just be another one like the CoCo View deaths a number of years ago. (I've heard rumor of bad gas provided by another dive op but never any official results.) I'd rather rattle the cage now and then so there is some motivation for the truth to come out.

Yes, indeed.

No Harm, No Foul.

My first trip to Cozumel was in August of 1993. Two months earlier, in June, a woman diver went missing. Apparently, she was with a group of about 6 to 8 divers that went on a night dive at Santa Rosa Wall. Info. was very hard to come by then too. We know that she was found floating and thus recovered a few days later. We know that she was from the Dallas area. But, it is now over 14 years later and we or I still dont know what happened on that dive. Were they actually on Santa Rosa Wall and if so, who was it that decided this was a good idea to be diving that deep on a night dive at a location that is known for having tricky up and down currents.

I think it is important to know what happens when dives go wrong and I would hate to see the facts of this latest tragedy at Devils Throat kept hidden from the diving community

It would be a great learning opportunity for this Board so I hope we can find out some facts? If done with respect and dignity, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom