Cozumel-Diver lost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Pilot Fish,

I'm still learning my way around the board and can't find the thread you mention below. Can you please tell me where it is?

Thanks!

Devil's Throat is definately an advanced dive site and new divers should not be allowed to dive there. Am I correct is thinking this Japanese tourist that might have perished was from criuse ship? Experienced divers should not do this site with an 80 cuft aluminum tank on just air. I learned the hard way.There's an interesting discussion on this very topic in the "I panicked in Devil's Throat at 122 ft " thread.

Anyone have anything additional about this poor diver?

I can't believe I spent all this time reading this thread! Six pages, and I haven't read anything that indicates what happened to the woman. For a missing diver, who no one knows what level diver she was (at least not mentioned in this thread except for the assumptions that she was a beginner.....how did anyone come up with that???? The fact that she was on a cruise ship????) I guess that means since I'm a diver I should not be interested in taking any cruises???? Take this thread to the Whine & Cheese, since all I see here is testosterone thumping going on, and nothing regarding the poor missing DIVER.

I dived Devil's Throat in Nov '07. No doubt about it it's an advanced dive. All of the diver's in the group I was with had advanced certifications but one and he got into trouble. His gas management wasn't too good and he ran out of air on the way up at about 40'. He signaled OOA and though we all saw the signal and started for him the DM got to him first. The DM did a good job of controlling the situation and didn't go straight for the surface but did a couple of stops before finally surfacing.

Regarding the Japanese tourist we need more info before jumping to conclusions regarding her ability to do this dive.

There's not a lot of information about this accident, other then 4 went in and only 3 returned. I have not seen any "real" information on the diver's age, experience or exact dive site. I'm not sure if this even happened at this Devil's Thoat site. This crap about cruise ship divers is just that...crap! So many people jump to conclusions and spew speculations out on this web site!

OK, all good ops do NOT mix pod people, cruise ship "divers," with regular divers because MOST cruise ship divers are not current.

I resented, oh, I mean, I resemble this statement. There are some truth in the statement, but also very prejudiced too. Some of the worst divers I've met were cruiseship "instabuddies". But, you also find the same type of divers on "resort, all inclusive" divers too. For that matter, it is especially true with "snorkeled" divers, and "split fin" divers. And I especially see this among "irregular divers", I mean the ones with big beer belly, or big bottoms, and the skinny ones with little forearms. People who drive pod racers, especially are bad.... I've seen them using the elevator buttons all the time! And especially woman who don't shave their legs!! Yes, the worst of the buch are those "Dork Divers"! They should all be sent to the looney bins.

I thank you those who posted videos of the dive at Devils Throat. I was told about the site, and how dangerous it could be in Cozumel. It bothered me big time to see divers with unsecured regs/SPG going through dive throughs.... Scarry to see that young man struggling through with tubes hanging all over, just asking to get snagged.

I don't know if I would ever do the dive, maybe with someone holding my hands and an extra 50 pony bottle... Honestly, I think I'd rather stay shallow and be happy with the scenery. But I can see the challenge .... Kinda riding the Top Thrill Dragster at cedarpoint.... It is sooooo fast, you barely have time to throw up, not to mention going into a panic attack!

I am glad we are discussing this case in more detail. Although it might be hurtful for friends and family of the victim, comment like pilotfish, eventhough quite prejudiced .... should tell dive opts to be more rigorous in their diver selection, rather than asking for the "AOW" card alone.

I can't believe I spent all this time reading this thread! Six pages, and I haven't read anything that indicates what happened to the woman. For a missing diver, who no one knows what level diver she was (at least not mentioned in this thread except for the assumptions that she was a beginner.....how did anyone come up with that???? The fact that she was on a cruise ship????) I guess that means since I'm a diver I should not be interested in taking any cruises???? Take this thread to the Whine & Cheese, since all I see here is testosterone thumping going on, and nothing regarding the poor missing DIVER.

My sentiments also. This thread is about the missing diver. If we find out more info about this accident perhaps we can learn from it and be better divers? I find it difficult to believe that we have so little info on this incident at this point. Is this News suppression by Mexican Tourist Board or Dive Op?

What happend to me on my 3rd dive on the Devil's Throat could have happened to any diver foolish enough to dive it on a single 80 cu ft tank on air:eyebrow:

It's just a miracle that the tens of thousands of divers who have done this on Al80s with air in the past are still walking this earth. Are you planning on finding doubles and trimix for your next try?

It's just a miracle that the tens of thousands of divers who have done this on Al80s with air in the past are still walking this earth.

No miracle at all. On most dives nothing happens that requires you to actually use your reserve gas...which is a really good thing for many of the novice divers who do that dive. We can usually get away with a lot of dumb stuff but that doesn't make it smart.

On the other hand, there is certainly no surprises in the incidents that have occured there.
Are you planning on finding doubles and trimix for your next try?

I usually use doubles (redundant breathing equipment) for cave dives (or any other overhead) and I often use trimix at those depths.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom