Cozumel Dive Info requested

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott2771

Registered
Reaction score
I am planning a trip to Cozumel over spring break and will be staying at the Fiesta Americana. Who are some good dive masters to go with? My son is a recently certified diver so I would like to have some fairly easy diving to see how he does.

My favorite operator is Caballito del Caribe. Just send Maribel an email. She'll set everything up for you and the boat will pick you up at your hotel dock.

Also Blue XTSeaThe owner, Christi, is one of our members. She'll be happy to answer any of your questions. Just send her a PM.

And Papa Hogs

All of these dive ops use smaller boats and will give you personal attention.

This one seems to start again every couple of weeks. If you search scubaboard, you will find a lot of discussions about who the better dive operators are in Cozumel. For the most part the industry down there is competitive enough that the poor ones don't last long, so most of them are pretty good. Some are 'cattle boats', running a dozen or twenty divers out at time, but usually a little cheaper. For my money, I prefer the smaller operations. My personal favorite is Papa Hog's. There's some decent shore diving right off of their shop, if you want to take your son out for some easy diving.

9000 posts? Dee, you don't sleep much, do you? :)

I like Blue Angel next to Caribe Blu(Old Lorena hotel). No rushing, dive your computer.

glbirch:
This one seems to start again every couple of weeks. If you search scubaboard, you will find a lot of discussions about who the better dive operators are in Cozumel. For the most part the industry down there is competitive enough that the poor ones don't last long, so most of them are pretty good. Some are 'cattle boats', running a dozen or twenty divers out at time, but usually a little cheaper. For my money, I prefer the smaller operations. My personal favorite is Papa Hog's. There's some decent shore diving right off of their shop, if you want to take your son out for some easy diving.

9000 posts? Dee, you don't sleep much, do you? :)

Hmm, no one has used Sea Scuba? David Tovar's place; he took me on my first trip to Punta Sur, and his DMs took me a lot of other places.

Small shop, but he has to have enough ppl. for the fast boats for him to go out though. He only runs one boat in the summer; it's the economically feasible thing.

P.S. For the easy divin' try cedral pass. Just a thought.

Yes, smaller ops will give you more personalized attention BUT Scott is looking for advice on taking his newly certified son out. Punta Sur is not the place for new divers. I am sure we all know that as advanced divers we like the smaller boats and appreciate the level of divers that normally take the smaller boats. A larger boat will have more new divers on it and will go to dive sites that will be better suited for a new diver.

Debraw:
Yes, smaller ops will give you more personalized attention BUT Scott is looking for advice on taking his newly certified son out. Punta Sur is not the place for new divers. I am sure we all know that as advanced divers we like the smaller boats and appreciate the level of divers that normally take the smaller boats. A larger boat will have more new divers on it and will go to dive sites that will be better suited for a new diver.

Good advice Debraw

Dive Paradise with DM Martin (pronounced Marteen). DP has small and big fast boats and small and big slow boats.

Martin is the best DM i have ever used in Coz by far and we have found DP to be a good, safe operation over the years. Have also dove with Papa Hogs and "Dive with Martin" (different Martin) and liked both of them depending on the DM.

IMHO you should sign your son up for an AOW course and go along on the dives. Chances are your son will be the only student and the instructor will go out with you on the boats. A great way to move from BOW to experienced diver.

Debraw:

Interesting thought, but I'm not sure I agree. Many of the operations down there have mulitiple boats, and it seems that often they will group divers into different boats according to experience level. So if you tell them you want easier dives they should be able to accomodate that. That has been my experience anyway.

Back
Top Bottom