• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Cozumel COVID-19 updates

Discussion in 'Cozumel' started by WetInPortland, Mar 31, 2020.

1. ggunn

ggunn ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    And there's the rub, innit? Governments that cannot compel their citizens to do what is necessary to contain an epidemic have to depend on convincing them. Some governments in that position do not try very hard, so they get what they get.

Jcp2 and Joneill like this.
  2. BRT

BRT not a soft touch ScubaBoard Supporter

You can tell me that Italy and Sweden are opposites, but the curves look very similar and the rates are very similar and the results at this point are very similar except Sweden is not under restrictions.

Edit: The people in Mexico are not so big on "please stay home". They would like something to eat.

markmud likes this.
  3. BRT

I met a Norwegian couple in Coz once. But never any Swedes. With the Canadians forced to stay home it is up to the good ol' USA. I bought my tickets for January 2 days ago.

markmud likes this.
  4. ChuckP

ChuckP Manta Ray

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    It's a fascinating world we live in with all the cultural and economic differences.

5. Kimela

Kimela Manta Ray

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    So ... let's go, share our tourist dollars and wear our masks to protect them from us!

It really is such a dilemma, isn't it? Don't go, and watch them suffer from lack of revenue? Go, and perhaps watch them suffer from exposure to more illness? Which is worse? (that's really intended as hyperbole and does not require a response). :wink:

Altamira, markmud and chillyinCanada like this.
  6. BRT

Talk to the ones in Quintana Roo that are not independently wealthy and I think you won't find much variation in opinion. It has passed lack of revenue and is into lack of food.

markmud and Mark IV like this.
  7. ReefHound

ReefHound PADI Pro

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I suspect that the vast majority of those advocating for lockdowns and closings still have their normal income stream or close to it. Or perhaps a healthy savings to draw on. Even in the best of times, millions of people around the world engage in activities that put them at elevated risk of something in order to put food on the table.

you think this guy would be scared of covid?

markmud, lthomas132 and Mark IV like this.
  8. BRT

I'm scared of it. My friends in Q. Roo are scared of it. But we have to make a living. We are more scared of being broke.

markmud and Mark IV like this.
  9. Mark IV

Mark IV Barracuda

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Exactly. Given that we still don't have a vaccine for the original sars virus from 20 years ago, or for the HIV virus from even earlier, all of which have had TONS of research devoted to them, at some point we may be forced to conclude that no vaccine or cure is coming, and that we just have to bite the bullet and allow the planet to get back to work, because this global shutdown bullspit will send the world's economy into an unrecoverable tailspin.

markmud and morecowbells like this.
  10. BRT

I am glad that governments are spending massive amounts of money to promote vaccines. I'm hopeful they will come up with a working vaccine. If they do it will be the first successful human coronavirus vaccine. It may cause deaths, It may not last very long. If it does not produce long term immunity we will need 7 billion doses however many times per year the immunity runs out. I simply can't stop my life that long. It would destroy everything I have worked for since I was a young teen. Simple fact is the vast majority of people in this world cannot either. But it won't just destroy what they have worked for. It will starve them. If we knew that a vaccine was coming on a certain date and that it was going to work and not have terrible side effects we might spread enough wealth to get humanity through til then, at great cost. But we don't know for sure there will be a vaccine and certainly don't know when.

markmud likes this.