Question Cozumel Atmosphere

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not introverted. Just more selective.
Most of us in here are pretty selective; it's just that what we are selective about varies. For example, I am very selective about dining when I am on Cozumel; I am not interested in AI food. DSFDF and YMMV.

but need I be worried about mobs of spring breakers and cruise passengers? Are there parts of town that are more low key? Is the island packed this time of year? Are the dive sites crowded?
Just some generalities here since you didn't really ask for specific recommendations of anything.

As mentioned earlier, spring break mobs are probably a non-factor. Cozumel isn't really known for its beaches that spring break kids are interested in. There are some nice beach areas though at the southern resorts. I stayed right by the International Pier in Nov/Dec and there weren't a lot of cruise ship people - I believe cruise ship passenger numbers are still limited.

Low key areas of the island would be the north hotel and the south hotel zones, away from town. Staying in the north puts you farther from the most visited dive sites while staying in the south puts you right by them. Fast boats in the north can get you to dive sites as fast as some of the dive boats located more central. You can find pretty much any type of diving vibe you want in Cozumel, diving as much as you want. There are many options of where to stay and who to dive with: you could stay places with an in-house dive op, you can stay where there is a dock and have an op pick you up, you can stay somewhere with an op/dock within walking distance, you can drive/taxi to a dock or a marina where an op leaves from, etc...

It seems to me the dive sites that are most crowded (with more than one dive op in the area) are the sites many ops go to for a 2nd shallower dive. Many of the DM's ask where you would like to dive each day - I'd tell them to stay away from any other ops.

It's hard to go wrong whatever you wind up doing.

Not to overwhelm you anymore but I'm sharing some info on Cozumel dive ops I put together. Post #113 has the link to the latest update in a Google document (thanks to @merlinuj )

Amazing how are preferences vary so widely. the potential for 12 divers on a boat is too many for me, I found the food at secrets not edible and the walk from my room to the pier felt like it was 10 miles. Glad you enjoyed it, I guess ive become more introverted as ive gotten older.
I have been on some cattle boats (30 divers) that I enjoyed and have been on some small boats that I have not. So to me it really depends on what company is running the boat.

Staying at Sunscape Sabor and Secrets I didn't find either making me want to go back but if I had to pick it'd be Secrets. Though last month when I was out it looked like Sunscape was getting a large upgrade.

Most of us in here are pretty selective; it's just that what we are selective about varies. For example, I am very selective about dining when I am on Cozumel; I am not interested in AI food. DSFDF and YMMV.
I'm interested in AI food....and alcohol. It is quite convenient and if you pick the right place can have quality food but of course buffets are never that good. I have picked the wrong place before and ate out for nearly every meal...but at least they had drinks..

Glad to read your question & the responses. I have about 40 dives under my belt, going in April with my non-diving wife, and wondering who to dive with and where to stay. Not so worried about the crowds thanks in part to the responses below. We currently have a room at the small-ish Villas El Encanto, but am wondering about changing to Blue Angel or Scuba Club Cozumel. Want a place that will be nice for the wife, and nice diving & options for me 🤿🤷🏻‍♂️?
If you have a healthy budget then you might want to look into Intercontinental Presidente. Very nice 'resort', Spa, 4 restaurants, nice beach/pool, next to marina (virually every dive OP will pick up there), away from cruise/town crowds, a few miles from town. Wife would LOVE it but your wallet may not.

If you have a healthy budget then you might want to look into Intercontinental Presidente. Very nice 'resort', Spa, 4 restaurants, nice beach/pool, next to marina (virually every dive OP will pick up there), away from cruise/town crowds, a few miles from town. Wife would LOVE it but your wallet may not.
I'm looking at the Presidente as an option for my wife and I with our two sons, but they don't seem to have an AI option. Looking at Costco travel, only breakfast is included and it looks that way on Expedia as well. I'm really wanting AI so we don't get nickel and dimed to death feeding 4 people and buying drinks for the wife and myself for 14 days. Does the Presidente really not have an AI option??

I'm looking at the Presidente as an option for my wife and I with our two sons, but they don't seem to have an AI option. Looking at Costco travel, only breakfast is included and it looks that way on Expedia as well. I'm really wanting AI so we don't get nickel and dimed to death feeding 4 people and buying drinks for the wife and myself for 14 days. Does the Presidente really not have an AI option??
I've never stayed there personally, friends stay all the time and absolutely love it. I do not believe they have AI option, they are more upscale. Heard their food is fantastic but probably spendy compared to town. Our routine is to always pickup lunch, munchies and booze at Mega then go out to dinner - so many fantastic restaurants in town. Cab will cost you $6-8 bucks (but always pay in Pesos for cheapest price). Might want to check if they have refer, microwave, hotplate in rooms. If you want to make good 'initial' impression of Coz to your wife this might be the place.

Cozumel Palace is a good higher end AI

Does the Presidente really not have an AI option??
They never have.

I will say this - i still hate AI. And I'm also one of those that do not like staying on the south end of the island. Palace is probably a good option, right in town, but if you dive, you might have to travel to the dive pickup. Your other option is get a condo and groceries @ Palmar or El Cantil, both excellent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom