cozmel and latex seals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HeatCker

Contributor
Reaction score
heading to cozumel next week.
leaving my neoprene at home and taking my bilam drysuit, something different.
just had new latex neck and wrist seals installed.
i'm wondering if i should treat the seals with seal saver before arriving.
not sure what effect the sun and salt will have on the seals.
mostly salt, i know enough to keep the seals out of the sun.
i plan on rinsing the seals after each day diving.
is there anything else i should do.
thanks guys.

Um? Really?

Water temp today in Coz was 80deg F. I would only wear a rash guard.

---------- Post added November 23rd, 2015 at 05:48 PM ----------

Oops, sorry, strike that. 84 degrees.

NDBC - Station 42056 Recent Data

Seal saver is an option if you feel better using it. I would say just good care will cover you....fresh water rinse, proper storage, keep out of the sun etc. The biggest threat would be a torn seal. If that worries you bring a skin or a 3 mil suit as a back up(of course rental is an option if your drysuit goes down).

DRIS2 thanks .. just wanted to make sure there was nothing extra i could do

gr8jab .. been to coz a dozen times, usually 80/81 F, i get cold after multi dive-multi day/night diving, the bilam should solve that problem
thanks for the temp link

A drysuit in Cozumel...you are going to give the rest of us Canadians a bad name!

While I've never done it I've contemplated bringing my drysuit down to Cozumel for the caves but usually suffice with a 7mm wetsuit. I usually wear a full 5mm in winter in Cozumel since water temps can be 78-79f and I can agree with you getting cold especially after 4 dives a day or long 80 minute dives.

Most important which you already know is to keep the seals out of the sun otherwise it will basically melt them. Cover them if they're going to be in direct sun for any long amount of time.

I dont do much at home other than rinse my seals with fresh water after use and talc them.

DRIS2 thanks .. just wanted to make sure there was nothing extra i could do

No worries, I've found that simple is usually better when it comes to caring for my dive gear. Most of the seal damage we see in the shop is caused during donning and doffing the suit, so extra care during those times is always a good idea. Quite a few divers don't realize that a seal won't last long when you "gumby" them on while wearing rings and other jewelry. :)

i get cold easily, at 140 lbs i have no bioprene.
the older i get the colder i get.
i used to be able to do the shortly thing, those days are gone.
now i usually have more neoprene on then anyone else on the boat.
in my defense i have seen my share of shivering divers on the boats in the Caribbean, especially after a night dive.
my bilam and a wicking layer should do the trick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom