Covid's impact on your diving ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cozumel in April--Canceled
45 day trip to the Philippines in May with a live aboard to Tubbataha Reef canceled. Had to fight like hell to get my airfare refunded from Asiana airlines with the help of DOT.
Dived Cozumel in August
Dived Cozumel this November
Leave for Socorro tomorrow morning (Dec 1st) on Socorro Aggressor after my booking on the Valentine was canceled last week because of engine problems.
My Tubbataha liveaboard was rescheduled for May 2021 if the Philippines even opens by then.

I’ll see you on the boat tomorrow! I’m already in Holiday Inn Escazu, San Jose, Costa Rica today.

Have a smooth & safe flight!

North Red Sea liveaboard canceled but did 10 days in the Azores.
Saw a Whaleshark but flooded my camera: this year has been a rollercoaster. :D

Locally I did more dives during Summer (June - October) than any year since I started diving, but between March - May and since middle October my diving dropped to zero due to restrictions...

I guess I still did more dives this year than any before that.

I thought 2020 would be my busy diving season, starting with a trip to Raja Ampat in January, Raja Ampat Jan 2020 Trip Report

I had 6 other trips planned for the rest of the year:
1. French Polynesia in May
2. Guadalupe, MX in July
3. Jupiter, FL in August
4. Cocos, CR in September
5. Tiger Beach, BS in November
6. Raja Ampat, ID in December

Then COVID-19 messes everything up:
1. French Polynesia trip was cancelled, French Polynesia Master is moving to Galápagos & rescheduled me to Galápagos in November 2021.
2. Guadalupe trip was rescheduled to November 2021.
3. Jupiter trip was cancelled.
4. Cocos trip was rescheduled to September, 2021.
5. Tiger Beach trip is rescheduled to early next year with TBA dates.
6. Raja Ampat trip is cancelled.

Fortunately one of my dive buddies is an avid cyclist and let me rebuilt his old road bike & I found a new hobby, cycling. I started to cycle in March. Did it almost everyday (20-30 miles/day on weekdays & 40-80 miles on weekends). Lost 20 lbs so far.

In between cycling activities, I dived twice in local lake Mammoth Lake, Mammoth Lake 2020 Part 2 and tried to boat dive to Kraken/Rig in the Gulf of Mexico twice, but bad weather kept blowing off the plan.

Finally, @Dom@DiveAdvice posted some good deals and I booked the Okeanos Aggressor I for Dec. 1-11, 2020. So here I’m in Costa Rica to complete my 2020 diving activities.

My 2021 diving plan, so far is:
1. Socorro in January (if there’s a good deal).
2. Belize in February
3. Tiger Beach sometimes in 1Q.
4. Socorro in May
5. Malpelo in July
6. Sangalaki in August
7. Cocos in September
8. Guadalupe in November
9. Galápagos in November
10. Raja Ampat in December

The impact is huge ie no diving whatsoever for a seen-able future. At least 10 trips(scuba or non scuba) have been cancelled.
All depend on the availability of the vaccine and the opening of any of the Big 4 in SE Asia without restriction.
I am prepare to wait.

Did COVID change my dive plans?

Boy howdy....

I ordered a custom Stealth in February 2020 and it was delivered to the UAE in early March 2020. I was supposed to fly over and train with @RainPilot in the UAE in April 2020 for almost two weeks (four courses) in preparation for "Maltapalooza" in May 2020 with a cabal of dive illuminati he hangs with.

Big fat zilch on those childhood dreams.

We next explored linking up in Egypt sometime in the summer. That sure didn't work out - the reverse quarantine upon his return to the UAE made matters simply infeasible.

I got out of Saudi Arabia in the nick of time for a visit home in Florida but got "stranded" due to the international flight ban. I thought it would last about a month (HA! HA! HA!). Accordingly, I had @RainPilot hold my BC thinking "any day commercial flights will resume" which they did but only so far. Part of the route, yes. All of the route, no. I could get just far enough on my way to Saudi Arabia to keep me holding onto hope for the courses with @RainPilot in in the UAE.

< cue needle dragging across the wax record >

No dice on that daydream.

While in Florida, I got hooked up with @LandonL to get two of the four envisioned training courses completed in late August, just days before I threw in the towel and hitchhiked back to Saudi Arabia.

That brings me to the present day. I'm now back in Florida for good (famous last words). My Stealth is en route from the UAE to me in Florida after @RainPilot babysat it for the past 10 months. I've got two top shelf trainers picked out for SM in early 2021. Cave will be next year...haven't really figured out when. Then there's the RB Yeti I keep catching glimpses of running through the forest. I'll probably try to hunt that creature but I'm not in any hurry. That's like big game safari. Exotic and expensive.

So, basically I'm about nine months off the training pipeline I established for myself. But I recongnize it could be worse, I could be dead from a silly little virus which would well and truly piss me off.

How has Covid impacted your diving or your diving business?

My own diving took a nasty hit. I was on my way to becoming an SSI Assistant Instructor but Covid lockdown interrupted that journey. All trips that I was planning to be on got canceled. I had to modify my game and started to do some practice dives in the quarry managing stage bottles and timed ascents. We have to get something out of it right?

Prior to Covid, I was radically opposed to solo-diving. This was the first time I considered it as dive buddies were a lot harder to find. I also considered getting into Cave diving earlier than my intended schedule because while boat charters get canceled, caves stay there.

It was also very sad to see that a lot of dive places in the Caribbean were struggling and had fund raisers. Shops were also taking a hit. I wanted to put a group together to see how we can keep businesses afloat by doing online seminars for a very nominal price. Bring diving celebrities on these paid online sessions just to keep the industry alive.

Id love to hear your experiences and your plans for 2021.
I am not in the industry but had 120 dives last year. Thus far, I am at 50 dives. The shops being closed for a month or longer eliminated my means to fill my tanks and there was the stigma of diving while others were self quarantining. Many of the dive spots were closed off, which made the walk to the shore entry prohibitive.

Managed to get in six dives before winter swells killed diving in Puerto Rico last month. Only got to dive two days out of nine......

Diving? What is this....diving? Sounds familiar. Like maybe one day long ago...

Covid started to come strong to my part of the world in February-ish. We had a new baby in March. Some day I will explore this whole diving thing again...if I can remember what it is.

I had 25 dives logged before lockdown in March.

I had several plans in place
ADEX in Singapore - Cancelled
Post ADEX trip to Cebu - Cancelled
Malta with @RainPilot and @ScubaWithTurk - Cancelled

Unfortunately few shore diving opportunities here in the UAE, but desperation prevailed and I got wet again late May.

2020 also threw a curveball at me and had a non-Covid related medical problem that put me out of diving for August and September, but I did do my 1800th dive on the 3rd October :D

YTD I have 62 dives, and hope to equal 2019's 66 in the coming weeks.

I did something like 40 dives I think...
- about 10 before the first lockdown,
- then my drysuit got leaking, I couldn't fix it during the first lockdown, and my car broke just after we could go out again... May and June without diving!
- about 30 between July, August and early September
- then I got positive to COVID, then the second lockdown, and I am still so far from any source of water :mad:

very very bad

Back
Top Bottom