Covid's impact on your diving ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not a bad year for diving at all.

I had a trip to Phillipines and another to Saba rescheduled/cancelled but I have actually had some great diving because/in spite of that.

Besides local lakes RI and Cape Ann Mass. (fairly local), myself and two buddies did 1000 Islands for the third time (US Side), discovered NC shipwreck diving (awesome) and I will be on trip 3 to Cozumel in a couple weeks. Prices being what they have been I can't resist.

My wife and I have been grounded most of the season. With no one to watch our children, we only got 13 dives in this seasons :( .

I got to dive a local quarry and lake while the restrictions where low. It got redundant and cold. Allowed me to advance some training I started though. Now everything is closed again..

Nothing changed for me except in the very beginning they shut down the coast. They made it so there was nowhere to park, but the conditions sucked anyway so no loss. After that, they opened the coast and I managed to get in a little local shore diving.
I don’t travel to dive so no loss there.
BTW, 2020 is not over yet and I plan to add to my dive count.

Was a great year for me. I was certified with padi in jamaica years ago, but had never even dove in a wetsuit. This year i met a good dive buddy that lives just up the road from me that had gotten trained a few years ago as well, so we decided to get the last of the gear we needed and get to it. We put in about 25 dives over the second half of the summer, found some scallops, mussels, a couple shipwrecks, and had some great adventures. Dreaming about next summer, but with our warmer temps lately, we just might get out one more time... Guess were lucky to have so many dive sites within an hours drive

I had a great trip to Belize in February.
My April trip to Cozumel got cancelled. No idea when/if it will be rescheduled.
My local diving has a slow start as access to the St. Lawrence river was blocked until June.
Access to the dive sites in the US was totally blocked due to border closure
This will be the first year since 1998 that I haven't dove the Jodery.
I haven't seen some risk-adverse dive buddies in a while

However I've done some great dives and hit the water around 80 times and counting this year.

Two trips cancelled: Philippines and Cayman.

...but helps to have a friend with a deck with steps into the Shark River Inlet in NJ. Exactly 57 dives over the summer in the same spot with temp varying from 49 to 79 and vis from 12 inches to 12 feet.

No diving! Did a Caribbean cruise last week of January - the one stop I had scheduled to dive (St Lucia) was cancelled. Two week trip to Grand Cayman in late April, 1 week FL in June, 2 week Alaska land/cruise trip in late August all cancelled, of course.

Using our timeshare and/or our friends vacation club, we generally book our trips a year or more in advance and still currently have 2 weeks in Jan. 2021 on the books - hate that we will have to give that one up as it was a "freebie" - $275 for a 2 bedroom + airfare (our friends paid $275 for the 2nd week.) Yes, we are waiting for the vaccine.

Because of the lousy rules of our timeshare company in refunding our 2020 trips, we have to spend banked money by the end of this year. We booked a trip for November 2021 to Cozumel - really hoping there is a chance for that one where one doesn't have to jump through hoops to travel. Still "have to" schedule another trip by the end of the year. Will either look ahead to 2022 for something in Caribbean or Hawaii or for later 2021 in U.S.

On a positive non-diving note, my golf game has improved. Played about 65 times this year ending a couple of days ago. Have broken 80 multiple times from the sr. tees as well as from the whites - never before this year.

Well I think I have done less than a fifth of normal diving this year. Many trips to Scotland and North Wales did not happen, local quarry closed for a large part of the year. Only around 25-30 dives, all except 2 in fresh water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom