Covid Tests

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There was no sensationalized claim. Staring death in the face does NOT mean died, except those who twist other people's words to support their own claims.
I disagree - broadly stating that a positive Covid test meant that one was staring death in the face is a sensational claim versus the facts (~1% case fatality ratio in the US)

Staring something in the face means one is close to suffering it and, outside of a specific group of vulnerable folks where this absolutely was true, a positive Covid test did not mean that for the vast majority of people.

Again - I’m not disputing that this was a serious situation and I myself followed the rules and have avoided contracting Covid to date (to the best of my knowledge). I just don’t agree with the way you characterized it.

I love liveaboard trips and I’m retired in August 2020. So I have plenty of time to go on these trips.

I have been on 16 dive trips with 14 of them were on liveaboards, since December 2020. Never contracted Covid until last June in Cuba. That’s when we no longer need to get Covid test before going home to USA. So I didn’t know that I had it until I got home and the case was so mild, no fever, no loss of taste, nor smell, just runny nose, little tired & occasional coughing for a week. Perhaps the 2 vaccine shots (Moderna) & 2 booster shots (Pfizer) helped minimize the severity of the illness.

I may have been a little careless after coming back from so many trips without contracting Covid. Contracting it in June brought me back to be vigilant in following the Covid protocols.

The situation won’t slow me down in going on liveaboard trips. I’ll be on 8 liveaboard trips from next week to February 2023 (Cocos, Galapagos 2x, Banda Sea, Raja Ampat, Visayas 2x, Similan).
Sounds like a wonderful retirement!
I suppose it's even possible that in addition to the effect of the vaccines/boosters, your immunity might have been strengthened by a number of periodic exposures to small amounts of virus in the past couple of years while you were traveling for all those trips.
Just as it possible that he is one of many that the virus goes by without issue, hard to say.
I pretty much lived under a rock for most of that time, and although I got all the vaccine doses I was entitled to, when I finally ventured out and took a trip (Caribbean) I sure enough caught a nicely symptomatic case of covid.
It can always be worse. One of my fully boosted friends said that they were the sickest that they have ever been (for weeks), and another had issues for months following.

I disagree - broadly stating that a positive Covid test meant that one was staring death in the face is a sensational claim versus the facts (~1% case fatality ratio in the US)
I’m in that lucky 99% category, I guess. Three weeks after I contracted Covid (2 weeks after the self test kit showing back to negative), I went back to diving. Didn’t notice any difference in endurance, air consumption, etc., before & after Covid.

I heard Covid variants get weaker with time. Count my blessings that I got it in June 2022, and after having 4 Covid vaccines.

So, just get your vaccines and don’t slack off in following the Covid protocols.

Thanks!

I’m just reaping the harvest of 35 years of working hard, while I still can.
Curious...do you have any kids?

Thanks!

I’m just reaping the harvest of 35 years of working hard, while I still can.
I have been working for nearing there and I think I will need to continue to do so until covid or something else gets me. I guess I haven't been working hard enough:)

Enjoy all the amazing trips that you are able to take!

Reactions: Dan

Back
Top Bottom