Covid Tests

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arbu

Registered
Reaction score
I've just been told that I need to get a negative Covid test for a liveaboard trip that I was thinking of booking in Mexico. If it's positive then I'm not allowed to join the trip. This rules it out as far as I'm concerned because I don't want to take the risk of flying all the way there only to not be able to dive. How widespread is this sort of requirement on liveaboards worldwide nowadays?

Thanks

I've just been told that I need to get a negative Covid test for a liveaboard trip that I was thinking of booking in Mexico. If it's positive then I'm not allowed to join the trip. This rules it out as far as I'm concerned because I don't want to take the risk of flying all the way there only to not be able to dive. How widespread is this sort of requirement on liveaboards worldwide nowadays?

Thanks
If it is not widespread, it should be. It is not about you, it is about all the other passengers. You want THEM to test negative, don't you?
Buy trip insurance.

If it is not widespread, it should be. It is not about you, it is about all the other passengers. You want THEM to test negative, don't you?
Buy trip insurance.
No, I'm not bothered about the other passengers testing negative. I've probably had it already, and I've had three vaccinations. The risk is so low it's not worth worrying about.

Instead of this becoming yet another round of pointless bickering, why don’t you tell us what LOB you’re on and someone could help you.

Instead of this becoming yet another round of pointless bickering, why don’t you tell us what LOB you’re on and someone could help you.
If you reread my post you'll see I was thinking of booking it. I haven't booked it, and I now don't intend to. It would be helpful to know in advance before I start looking at trips if this requirement will apply.

No, I'm not bothered about the other passengers testing negative. I've probably had it already, and I've had three vaccinations. The risk is so low it's not worth worrying about.
I believe that many LOB’s require a test to avoid a breakout on the boat that ends the trip for many, if not all. It’s not at all about whether you will get sick/seriously ill or not.

I’m on Blue Manta in Raja Ampat this December and you have to do a self test 12 hours before boarding and they will test you again at boarding (antigen test).

If you reread my post you'll see I was thinking of booking it. I haven't booked it, and I now don't intend to. It would be helpful to know in advance before I start looking at trips if this requirement will apply.
You indicated that you were thinking of booking a LOB. All it would take was an email from you to the company to get an definitive answer. Not telling us which one(s) you were looking at is kinda pointless.

I believe that many LOB’s require a test to avoid a breakout on the boat that ends the trip for many, if not all. It’s not at all about whether you will get sick/seriously ill or not.

I’m on Blue Manta in Raja Ampat this December and you have to do a self test 12 hours before boarding and they will test you again at boarding (antigen test).
Thanks. If they're doing it in Raja Ampat as well then they're probably doing it everywhere. I think I'll hold off on liveaboards for the next few years. Plenty to do onshore.

Thanks. If they're doing it in Raja Ampat as well then they're probably doing it everywhere. I think I'll hold off on liveaboards for the next few years. Plenty to do onshore.
I was just in Fiji and we had to test on arrival at the resort as well - so not necessarily just LOB’s have this requirement in the more remote spots. Definitely do your research before you book!

I was just in Fiji and we had to test on arrival at the resort as well - so not necessarily just LOB’s have this requirement in the more remote spots. Definitely do your research before you book!
This is really strange. What would have happened if you had tested positive? Had to fly back home I suppose.
A friend of mine told me recently "I have done a lot of travelling recently all over. Including Namibia and Botswana. COVID is a non-issue for travel now." I've also been to Luxembourg, Turkey and the Azores over the summer - the biggest imposition was that you still have to wear facemasks on the interisland flights in the Azores. Maybe the more expensive your destination, the more of an issue it is likely still to be making of Covid. Which is a reason to avoid expensive destinations.

Back
Top Bottom