Covid testing in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cancels - I've heard a lot of people saying groups were cancelling, any dive shop I've spoke with is complaining of cancels - I think the hopes for a reasonable spring are getting flushed down the toilet.

We came home on December 18th. We're planning to return on March 19th. I've gotten my first vaccine and get the second on the 8th. Husband still hasn't been given the opportunity. Very disappointed that having the vaccine still has no real meaning in regards to travel. We will be staying at the Palace, where they will put us up for two weeks at the resort for no additional charge if we test positive and can't board a plane to return home. Don't know what that might mean in terms of additional airline fees.

Again, what I saw on Cozumel in regards to adhering to covid 'best practices' is better than what I see at home. If folks aren't averse to traveling, I think Cozumel is 'as safe' as it gets. You guys are doing a good job, in my opinion.

Have any of these variants shown to render the new vaccinnes ineffective?
Have any shown that they infect those recovered from a previous variant?

Yes, and yes. And that's what has made public health officials (and governments that listen to them) so worried.

The data is still preliminary, but from the data available, is appears the South Africa variant is the one that is most worrisome. ALL the vaccines tested against the South Africa variant show that they are significantly less effective in protecting against the South Africa strain (exactly how much less depends on the vaccine and is hard to nail down, but it seems all of them are less effective, in some cases, a lot less). And, yes, there have been verified cases of people who had previously had COVID and had recovered from a previous strain (so were thought to have some natural immunity to COVID), who were infected again (and got sick again) from the South Africa strain. The South Africa strain appears to be just as infectious (very) and as deadly (somewhat more, exactly how much is TBD) as the other new fast-spreading strains (eg UK, Brazil). With the vaccines less effective against it, that's a bad combination.

As I said, the data is preliminary (we will know more as time passes, that's how science works) so it's not time to panic. But it is very concerning.

The Pfizer and Moderna two-shot vaccines (roughly 95% effective generally) have been shown to still provide very strong protection against the UK and Brazil (and Los Angeles and all the other identified) variants. But not against the South Africa strain. The new one-shot Johnson & Johnson vaccine (generally about 65-75% protective generally, IIRC) had a level of protection against the South Africa strain that officials have been describing as "disappointing" (I have not seen numbers, but it's not what everyone had been hoping for, because the J&J vaccine was hoped to be "the one", a game-changer because it's simple). There are no vaccines yet that work well against that South Africa strain, based on what I've seen.

On a more hopeful note: Moderna and Pfizer are both already working on a booster for their vaccines (which would be shot #3) to tweak protection for the South Africa strain. I have not heard any ETA for that, but they say "tweaking" their vaccines for such contingencies should be relatively easy and fast (because they are MRNA vaccines - the J&J vaccine is a conventional one, so tweaking it would presumably take longer). But tweaks + testing still takes time so don't hold your breath expecting a tweaked vaccine right away.

My guess is that this (the news about lack of protection against the South Africa strain provided by existing vaccines) is one of the things that prompted Canadian PM Trudeau to impose the new Canadian travel restrictions -- those restrictions were imposed just a day or two before the news of the South Africa strain's resistance to the vaccines started to circulate widely in the general news. I suspect Canadian officials caught wind of the news early, and decided to move quickly. Expect to see more tightening of restrictions (and hopefully actual enforcement) from many jurisdictions in the coming days and weeks.

And lets hope the smart folks at the vaccine developers continue to work overtime and continue to have good success. I would hope that Pfizer and Moderna are getting every dime they need so they can stand-up production lines not just for the current vaccines, but also are getting set up to be able to quickly tweak and deliver updated variants as needed (because mutations are to be expected, and we will likely see more, until we wrestle the virus to the ground and crush it...that depends on vaccines and getting people to behave responsibly).

Double-masking is with us and will be called for going forward. Take it seriously.

"We are in a national emergency. It's time we acted like it."

By the time my turns comes around, I'm assuming they will have the variants included in my shot....those that already received one or soon to be...may have to repeat it?

By the time my turns comes around, I'm assuming they will have the variants included in my shot....those that already received one or soon to be...may have to repeat it?

Some perspective: The vaccines have only been out for a few weeks. The first jabs were given around Christmas (my wife is a nurse, she got hers on December 20, on one of the very first days they were administered). We are still at the beginning of the beginning of this. None of the vaccines have been modified yet, and it's unlikely any will be for months (the pipeline for developing a new/updated vaccine is not short). Public health officials are saying to just get the damn vaccine, as soon as you can, and don't get picky about which one (unlikely anyone will have a choice), just get it when you can. Eventually, there will be updated vaccines and booster shots, but not anytime soon.

The takeway from the virus mutations should be 1) just get the damn vaccine ASAP, whatever and whenever it becomes available to you, and 2) the vaccine is not a magic bullet (though it will be extremely helpful in getting us on a path to a post-pandemic life) and people will still need to behave like rational adults or we won't ever get out of the hole we are currently in, and 3) expect updates and booster shots at some point...that's how vaccines work (the flu vaccine is different every year, we may be looking at a yearly update for COVID too).

I got my first jab (the Moderna vaccine) a couple weeks ago, have an appointment for the second dose in a couple more weeks. If/when they have a third "booster" dose to cover the South Africa variant or whatever else emerges, I'll gladly sign up for that as soon as it's available.

For those raving lunatics who complain that the COVID vaccine is just a plot by Bill Gates to inject you with a Chinese 5G mind-control microchip, I can tell you, that's nonsense. Plus, I get really fast WiFi reception now wherever I am, and it's frickin' great. 进来,水很好!

We have just started double masking. It is easy to do and not uncomfortable for weekly outings to get groceries.
And completely unnecessary if you wear a good quality mask correctly to begin with. The problem is the folks with ill-fitting or non-mult-layer masks - bandanas or gators are not proper masks. And lots of folks seem to think the mask doesn’t need to cover their nose?

And completely unnecessary if you wear a good quality mask correctly to begin with. The problem is the folks with ill-fitting or non-mult-layer masks - bandanas or gators are not proper masks. And lots of folks seem to think the mask doesn’t need to cover their nose?
I have tried to get N95 masks but no luck so far. I did get some KN95's which fit really well. I don't think double masking is necessary with what I have, especially with how seldom I leave the house. Masking is a largely misunderstood practice; it's "funny" to see a football coach on the sideline wearing a mask until he pulls it down to shout into an unmasked player's face from 6 inches away.

I have tried to get N95 masks but no luck so far. I did get some KN95's which fit really well. I don't think double masking is necessary with what I have, especially with how seldom I leave the house. Masking is a largely misunderstood practice; it's "funny" to see a football coach on the sideline wearing a mask until he pulls it down to shout into an unmasked player's face from 6 inches away.
Agreed - unless you plan on being in very close quarters, indoors with strangers for any extended period, something like a KN95 is more than sufficient (imho).

Reactions: Dan
We are leaving for Cozumel soon and I was debating whether to get a test prior to leaving. I found out yesterday one of the other pilots in our office just tested positive over the weekend. We flew together late last week, so I figured I better go get tested. Good news is I am negative. I have had one vaccine shot so far, and apparently it was enough to provide protection in this instance. Small sample size, admittedly, but highly recommend getting the vaccine. Now on to Cozumel.

We are leaving for Cozumel soon and I was debating whether to get a test prior to leaving. I found out yesterday one of the other pilots in our office just tested positive over the weekend. We flew together late last week, so I figured I better go get tested. Good news is I am negative. I have had one vaccine shot so far, and apparently it was enough to provide protection in this instance. Small sample size, admittedly, but highly recommend getting the vaccine. Now on to Cozumel.

Vaccines don’t prevent you from getting the disease. They prevent you from getting sick.

Back
Top Bottom