Covid surging in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes I have. It is not mandatory to pre-book, you will not be refused entry, just given a form directing you to make a booking. But in either case, nothing would stop you from contacting the lab and booking a normal travel PCR instead, whether pre or post-entry.

I don't get what is up today with these petty objections and gainsaying, you are usually very astute. I never suggested this works in all cases for trips of all durations to all destinations. As I am reiterating for the fourth time, all I said was this could work if it fit your window. The reality is that for a 6 day trip from the US or a one week trip from the Netherlands, Canada or Aruba et al. you can save time, inconvenience, wear and tear on the nasal passage and some cash if you booked the regular travel PCR test instead of a 5 Day and killed two birds with one stone. Nothing prevents this. It might even give peace of mind to those anxious about not receiving a negative, even if it does not fit their travel window exactly.
You seem quite sure I am arguing with you.
My responses are for entry to the US; that is hard enough to track without including the rest of the world.
Your theoretical use of a test on Day 5 to go home on Day 6 (or later if not to the US) is intriguing. I'll be interested to know if anyone has been successful doing this.

Reason for optimism, perhaps . . . positivity rate still high @ 56%, but active cases actually down, presumably based on recoveries exceeding new positives by a considerable amount; one death--the first in a long time--but hospitalization down to three. A tragedy for the person who succumbed, but a positive report otherwise.

Infections rates reportedly are down in Aruba and Curacao, so perhaps Bonaire's number is a sign of things to come.

1641850477707.png

Not speaking of Bonaire, but after avoiding Covid for almost 2 years, an enormous amount of friends and family have tested positive in the last 4 weeks here in NJ (Luckily, none had more than mild symptons). Most had continued to be quite vigilant in that time but Omicron appears to be incredibly transmisssble and even very casual contact seems enough to get infected.

Anyone traveling internationally in the next 4-6 weeks better be prepared for an isolation/quarantine during their stay. We canceled our Aruba trip that was supposed to start yesterday as we couldn't risk a forced, extended stay if we had a positive exit test (which is not a small chance at present with over 100 tourists testing positive in Aruba each day for almost the past week).

Travelers beware!
Speaking of my earlier post above, our dive shop travel coordinator just told me that she had had 40 people in Bonaire last week (Fully Vaccinated) and 9 tested POSITIVE the day before they were supposed to come back and are now “enjoying” quarantine.

As I said previously, international travelers better be prepared for an “extended stay” as it’s currently more likely to test positive than at any other time in the pandemic to date, I’d say.

If you choose to venture out to international destinations, make sure that you have proper Covid travel insurance that covers hotel, medical bills, meals etc… or you could be on the hook for some large, unexpected expenses!

Speaking of my earlier post above, our dive shop travel coordinator just told me that she had had 40 people in Bonaire last week (Fully Vaccinated) and 9 tested POSITIVE the day before they were supposed to come back and are now “enjoying” quarantine.

As I said previously, international travelers better be prepared for an “extended stay” as it’s currently more likely to test positive than at any other time in the pandemic to date, I’d say.

If you choose to venture out to international destinations, make sure that you have proper Covid travel insurance that covers hotel, medical bills, meals etc… or you could be on the hook for some large, unexpected expenses!
Where were the 40 people staying?

I'm asking because getting infected could well be very dependent on where one is staying, eating, and shopping, and maybe diving.

I'm asking because getting infected could well be very dependent on where one is staying, eating, and shopping, and maybe diving.
I’ll ask - but, bottom line is that traveling at present is quite risky in terms of a forced quarantine. I traveled 3 times last year and had little concern, but will not do so until Omicron burns out in the next month or two.

It’s crazy transmissible. I hardly had any first hand knowledge of anyone in my circle that had Covid over the last 2 years, but the last month has changed that dramatically - a huge number of friends, co-workers and family members have tested positive in the last month.

Luckily, it’s been mild for virtually all, except 1 death. That person was unvaccinated, had significant comorbidities (as is the case with the vast majority of bad outcomes) and waited 6 days before seeking medical help.

...9 tested POSITIVE the day before they were supposed to come back and are now “enjoying” quarantine.
Any details you can provide would be appreciated. Where are they quarantined? What arrangements made for food? Wonder what the bill will be, and what the criteria are to get released (note: in some people a PCR test runs positive for a long time). And do they have wifi? That's important since the potentially high cost of roaming for cell phone service may be prohibitive.

Any idea which people are using?

Apologies if this has all been covered previously (though even if so, things may change); it's a busy, long running thread, and we're 45 pages into it per my browser.

Richard.

Any details you can provide would be appreciated. Where are they quarantined? What arrangements made for food? Wonder what the bill will be, and what the criteria are to get released (note: in some people a PCR test runs positive for a long time). And do they have wifi? That's important since the potentially high cost of roaming for cell phone service may be prohibitive.

Any idea which people are using?

Apologies if this has all been covered previously (though even if so, things may change); it's a busy, long running thread, and we're 45 pages into it per my browser.

Richard.
Our trip coordinator recommended to check out squaremouth.com, but said to call them (800 # on website) and talk through needs based on the specifiic destination and they can help pick the proper coverage. I have a few trips planned this year (Fiji, Truk Lagoon and Raja Ampat) so will be checking them out shortly.

It would be interesting to know as well at what point they tested positive. Assuming a week trip was it the 5 day NAAT/PCR or the return 6 day antigen? Assuming Omicron, it seems the incubation is shorter, perhaps 3 days. But I would still be most suspicious that the positive tests were either infected before the island or on the way down.

Back
Top Bottom