Covid surging in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is typical. Very few of the new active cases are from visitors
Currently on Bonaire. A bit tongue in cheek, but with the first cruise ship docking yesterday, that may change.
Some of the natives are not happy.

Currently on Bonaire. A bit tongue in cheek, but with the first cruise ship docking yesterday, that may change.
Some of the natives are not happy.
The only happy natives appear to be those directly profiting from the cruise ships, including the government for some strange reason.

Today:
"There are 35 active cases of Covid-19 in Bonaire on September 4, 2021. Of the 80 test results received, eleven were positive. The persons who tested positive are residents of Bonaire."

My suggestion, if on or visiting Bonaire -- even if vaccinated -- is stay away from places frequented by locals unless you are wearing a mask and social distancing. Especially indoors. Why raise your risk profile? Many resorts (e.g., Buddy Dive) have fully vaccinated their employees. But places like that little supermarket or bar or snack place probably have not. Not to mention the other customers in those places.

Sept 5: now 52 active cases on Bonaire.....steady increases in last few days. All locals.
BonaireCrisis says:
"Some of the U14 football champions tested positive on their return from the Dominican Republic on the fifth day after arrival. Public Health is working on the source and contact investigation. The contacts of infected people will be informed. If necessary, they are quarantined and tested. PG only calls on people who had contact with the football players and who have complaints to call 0800 0800 for a test appointment.

At the moment there are no indications of further spread. It will become clear in the coming time whether there is further spread. Federashon Futbòl Boneriano, FFB, has canceled the selection's championship celebration for the time being. This is done to minimize the risk of spreading. The infections on Bonaire have increased in recent days. The increase is due to three clusters. The two clusters in schools, where two classes have been quarantined just to be sure and the cluster around the football players."​

We return to the US through Curacao on Oct 3rd. From reading the Curacao website, it appears we need a PCR test within 48-hours or an antigen test within 24 hours of departure for Curacao. Does anyone know if this applies to transiting through Curacao or just for those who are staying there? Does the Abbott BinaxNOW with eMED supervision (which is sufficient to reenter the US) test meet the Curacao requirements, or do we need to go through a lab on Bonaire? We know a lot can change between now and then, jut looking for others experiences.

(Update) In looking at the link from EZAir to Curacao Entry Portal (dicardcuracao.com), We think the answer is going to be we need to go to a lab on Bonaire....

Upload a negative COVID-19 test result
Depending on your country of origin a PCR test or Antigen test is required prior to departure. PCR tests need to be taken within 48 hours before traveling, while Antigen tests need to be taken within 24 hours before traveling. All Covid tests need to be taken at an accredited laboratory. The traveler is required to carry a digital proof of the PLC and negative Covid test result. For more information about the country classification, click here.

Is there a way we can take a test upon arrival at bonaire, if I am unable to get tested prior to my departure to bonaire?

Is there a way we can take a test upon arrival at bonaire, if I am unable to get tested prior to my departure to bonaire?
You probably won't be able to board the flight. If the destination requires the test, they normally require the airlines to get proof before accepting the passenger. And even if they don't the airline will normally require it, as they would have to fly you home if you are not allowed in.

Someone above posted about a person in their group arriving without a test and how that person was given a test on the spot at the airport in Bonaire. However, I certainly wouldn't take that chance.

Someone above posted about a person in their group arriving without a test and how that person was given a test on the spot at the airport in Bonaire. However, I certainly wouldn't take that chance.
Concur.

I'm the guy @Outbound is referring to who posted earlier in this thread about a member of our group boarding our flight based on faith that a negative test result would arrive by email/text in time for arrival on Bonaire. I note the following:

1) As I mentioned in that previous post, our airline, Delta, did not ask to see negative results as a condition for boarding the flight to Bonaire. However, I would not rely on an assumption that all airlines do the same.

2) As I also mentioned, when our friend could not produce a negative test result for the personnel checking at arrival, our friend was pulled aside and offered a rapid test. (I assume this was a rapid molecular test similar to the popular ID NOW test.) Our friend texted us that it would take about 20 minutes, and sure enough, 20 minutes later our friend, having tested negative, emerged from the airport and joined us waiting outside. Our friend was charged $125.

3) By boarding the flight without a negative test result, our friend potentially put others at risk. If our friend had tested positive, I would not have been surprised if the authorities had contact-traced the rest of the passengers down and possibly required some additional testing (or quarantine?!). While there is some chance that even people who tested negative within the past 48 hours could have contracted the virus before boarding, that probability can be minimized by careful distancing and masking in the two days before one's flight.

Please get tested before you leave for Bonaire as Bonaire requires.

Back
Top Bottom