COVID-19 quarantine Insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tbriggsnh

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I recently posted a thread that outlined the requirements (as of 15 December 2020) to visit Anguilla, Bonaire, Barbados, the British Virgin Islands, the Cayman Islands, the Dominican Republic, Guadeloupe, Jamaica, Martinique, Montserrat, Puerto Rico, St. Lucia and the Turks & Caicos.

I'm hoping to get my vaccines completed early next year and would like to get back in the water quickly. As a warm water diver, in addition to hitting the Keys, one of the aforementioned islands is next on my list.

In early-2021, I'm pretty confident that there will still be admission requirements. Since I will have been vaccinated, I don't anticipate any issues with the health screening or testing. My only concern is around the requirement for quarantine insurance. Basically, for certain islands, the government requires that I carry insurance that will cover not only the cost of medical treatment and evacuation, but, in addition, the insurance must specifically cover the per-night cost if the government decides that they want me to quarantine. It makes sense. The government doesn't want to foot the bill if I don't have the cash for a government-run quarantine hotel for 14 days.

So I did some checking and asked around Scubaboard for recommendations on quarantine insurance. Here's what I found.
DAN - not acceptable
"Neither DAN membership nor DAN's dive injury (treatment) insurance plans provide benefits in cases where a member is quarantined."

DiveAssure - looks good
Covid-19 related daily quarantine expenses
Single-trip quarantine coverage ranges from $75-$125 per day depending on plan (Standard/Deluxe/Elite)

TravelSafe
No information.
While TravelSafe offers medical insurance and will pay for Covid treatment, the page that addresses quarantine coverage is a dead link this evening.

At this point, it looks like the only option if DiveAssure. I was just wondering if any other Caribbean divers have come across this problem yet. And if so, feedback or recommendations would be most appreciated.

Thanks!!

You should check DAN travel insurance, not the accident insurance.

Is there any updates? I'm specifically looking for something available to people based in Canada. Diveassure seems to work, but as noted, is not super cheap. For a 3 week trip it starts look better to self insure, especially since I already have travel health (including COVID) through work.

Is there any updates? I'm specifically looking for something available to people based in Canada. Diveassure seems to work, but as noted, is not super cheap. For a 3 week trip it starts look better to self insure, especially since I already have travel health (including COVID) through work.
Depending on the country, self insurance may not be an acceptable option to visit islands. I’m looking at Turks and Caicos specifically.

Cayman Islands doesn't require any Insurance. That's because they aren't open for tourists and right now EVERYONE has to quarantine at their own cost. So I hope that Cayman isn't the one on your soon-to-visit list tbriggsnh. The situation isn't likely to change until early next year and the way things have been going so far, that's likely to get pushed out further...

Depending on the country, self insurance may not be an acceptable option to visit islands. I’m looking at Turks and Caicos specifically.
I bought DiveAssure when I was in T&C in June. At the time they required insurance that covered quarantine expenses and medical care. Self-insuring was not an option. You had to upload proof of coverage, COVID test results, etc. into their portal before getting the piece of paper you need to get on island.

I bought DiveAssure when I was in T&C in June. At the time they required insurance that covered quarantine expenses and medical care. Self-insuring was not an option. You had to upload proof of coverage, COVID test results, etc. into their portal before getting the piece of paper you need to get on island.
I just checked with TCI assure and they agreed my insurance was OK.

I just checked with TCI assure and they agreed my insurance was OK.
That's what I did too. I sent them a summary of the policy via that email link on the TCI portal and they said it was ok. Kind of a pain since I am a self-insure kind of guy too, but these days you just have to do what you have to do. I just bought another DiveAssure policy for my Socorro trip later this year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom